Full Time, US and Ireland Remote
Our vision is to make mental health radically accessible
We are a venture-backed startup building tools to help millions of people monitor, regulate, and ultimately improve their moods. Our tools are powered by the latest research in NLP and ML, use scientifically proven techniques from Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT), and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), and are based on 10 years of digital mental health research at Stanford University. With Andrew Ng serving as our Chairman and Dan Jurafsky sitting on our advisory board, we have globally recognized leaders in AI & NLP closely involved with our work.
We are focused on addressing the vast, unmet need for improved engagement and outcomes in mental health with Woebot, a digital coach that helps people engage more deeply and continuously in their mental health. Woebot's breakthrough is its ability to form a human-level bond with people using the latest in NLP, ML and other advanced technologies. Leveraging this therapeutic bond, and the expertise of our Stanford-trained clinicians and scientists, Woebot is constantly learning from the experience of more than one million people and hundreds of millions of messages exchanged to deliver high quality CBT-based therapeutic tools that are psychologically related and responsive to a person’s dynamic state of health.
We are poised to redefine how people access mental health care, and we are building the dream team that’s excited about getting us there. We are a fully remote, collaborative, and human-centered organization. If you get excited about the possibilities of transforming the future of mental health while working with a dynamic team with backgrounds ranging from clinical psychology to enterprise-grade AI applications, then this role is for you!
Why You Should Join Our Core Product Engineering Team
You care about helping make quality mental health care realistically accessible to millions of people globally and are genuinely curious and proven at building complex scalable distributed systems.
You have the unique opportunity to create and improve our core bot as part of the Core Product engineering team, helping to delineate Woebot into a premium offering which will ultimately become the new standard in digital therapeutics. The Core Product team’s objective is to build the features that continue to improve Woebot’s clinical efficacy.
In the process, you’ll learn a lot about chatbot architecture, Serverless cloud deployments, agile software development and best in class development practices.
Who You Are
To succeed in this role, you will need to thrive in an environment that fosters collaboration while also giving you the space and opportunity for independent thinking and project ownership. You are constantly looking to hone your craft and to share those learnings with your colleagues. You know how to strike a balance between delivering to a deadline and to product requirements, while at the same time maintaining the highest levels of quality. Most importantly, you are energized by the idea of learning more about evidence-based psychological interventions and how to translate them into digital products that improve the lives of millions of people.
How You’ll Thrive
- In your first 4 weeks, you’ve read and digested our entire code base, have made several small enhancements and bug fixes, and have come up with a list of recommendations for improving our back-end systems.
Become A Leader On The Engineering Team
- You have a deep knowledge of Node.js and AWS cloud (or similar cloud platform) and can enforce best practices while mentoring other engineers to become masters of their craft.
- You are responsible for creating new features and functionality in the core logic of our bot, and work directly with our product team to integrate their ideas into the system.
Improve Woebot Without Sacrificing Quality
- By day 45 you have delivered a new feature end-to-end, from understanding the solution design to coding to peer review to production launch and error monitoring.
- By day 60 you are translating user needs and requirements into technical solutions, helping write technical specifications, and contributing elegant code that turns needs into reality.
Create Systems That Help Us Scale
- By day 90 you’re identifying problems before they happen and creating preventative measures to avoid them, as well as monitoring systems that detect when they occur.
- Within your first few months, you are quickly learning, maintaining, and enhancing disparate systems across Woebot.
- You will add new features while improving and refactoring the existing system along the way, maintaining Woebot’s current functionality as our product and team scales.
This Might Be Your Next Career Move If
- You have more than 4 years of experience shipping production code with Node.js.
- You care about helping make quality mental health care realistically accessible to millions of people nationwide.
- You read voraciously about your field of expertise and enjoy bringing your learnings to the team in the form of recommendations for system improvement. You are a strong proponent of not only delivering new features but also of hardening systems along the way, making it bullet-proof to errors or outside attacks.
Role Specific Competencies
- Our platform is built on Node.js. You will need to have written production Node.js solutions at a previous employment and while you may not be the finished Node.js article yet, you have the drive to get there.
- AWS or experience with another cloud provider such as GCP or Azure
Our Core Values
- Empathic: You’re a compassionate person and a team player motivated to understand others and help them be successful, too. You care as deeply for your colleagues as you do for our mission and our users.
- Self-aware: You possess a high level of emotional intelligence, which allows you to understand yourself and others, and to have a healthy emotional life in the workplace.
- Proactive & flexible:You are able to hit the ground running, you take responsibility for finding a way to get the job done. You learn as quickly as possible and sometimes do things outside the immediate scope of your work, giving it all you’ve got.
- Strong work-ethic: You’ve mastered healthy habits in your life that allow you to do great things. You exemplify dedication and commitment to coming up with very good results in your work and inspire others to do the same.
- Growth mindset: You believe abilities – like intelligence and talent – can be developed through dedication and hard work. You see failure as an opportunity to grow and welcome feedback as a pathway to your continued success.
- Humble: You recognize that you are one among many, and you hold a genuine desire to discover what other people can offer. You are intrigued by how others think, and how others feel differently from you. You lean into these moments with patience and curiosity.
- Competitive Salary
- Stock Options
- Flexible PTO
- Health, Dental & Vision
Woebot is an equal opportunity employer and we deeply value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status