Virta Health is on a mission to transform diabetes care and reverse the type 2 diabetes epidemic. Current treatment approaches aren’t working—over half of US adults have either type 2 diabetes or prediabetes. Virta is changing this by helping people reverse type 2 diabetes through innovations in technology, personalized nutrition, and virtual care delivery reinvented from the ground up. We have raised over $350 million from top-tier investors, and partner with the largest health plans, employers, and government organizations to help their employees and members restore their health and live diabetes-free. Join us on our mission to reverse diabetes in 100M people by 2025.
About the role
You will be building and iterating the software platform that Virta Health uses to manage patient care. At the core of the Virta treatment is the Virta Clinic and at the core of the Virta Clinic is Spark — our proprietary electronic health record system that allows for a new model of remote, continuous, diabetes care. As a member of the Clinic Group you will be working alongside Virta clinicians and health coaches to develop the applications they use to monitor patients, ensure safe care, and help them transition off diabetes medications. You will help set standards and evangelize best practices on how other Virta teams contribute to and utilize clinical data.
- Partner with product management, design, and our clinical staff to come up with high-impact features that drive us toward our goal of bringing the Virta treatment to 100+ million people
- Deliver and iterate on features that support our clinical team balancing efficiency and quality with well structured code
- Support and mentor other engineers on the team and promote high quality software engineering practices
- Help level up the engineering team by introducing standardizations and processes that improve the technical quality of our products
- Become a go-to expert at Virta for several critical foundational technologies, services and/or products
- Troubleshoot, debug, and fix issues in production and non-production environments
- Manage the performance and usage of applications in the production environment
90 Day Plan
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Code and ship multiple features that involves both front-end and back-end code with complete test coverage
- Collaborate with other engineering team members through knowledge sharing, pair programming, and giving feedback in code reviews
- Spend time shadowing the health coaches and clinicians who care for our patients to better understand how the tools we build are being used in reality
- Get up to speed on the major repositories our team owns, the developer tools and local development experience, and our existing team and company processes
- Propose one or more process/product improvements to make our engineering team even better
- 5+ years of experience delivering client facing web applications
- Loves learning and adapting to new technologies to solve core business problems
- Passionate about user experience, building amazing features for stakeholders, and working on a highly collaborative team
- Strong communication skills with ability or desire to interface with business-level stakeholders, both technical and non-technical alike
- Has attention to detail, carefully crafts both tests and code
- Solid experience with REST, gRPC, or GraphQL APIs
- Solid understanding of distributed systems, data stores, data modeling, and performance optimization
Bonus Points For...
- Front-end experience with React, Webpack
- Server-side experience with any of Python, Google Cloud Platform, GraphQL, Go
- Experience working with healthcare data (ideally in FHIR)
Virta’s company values drive our culture, so you’ll do well if:
- You put people first and take care of yourself, your peers, and our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego and understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency and promote trust and empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based and prioritize data and science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks and rapidly iterate
As part of your duties at Virta, you may come in contact with sensitive patient information that is governed by HIPAA. Throughout your career at Virta, you will be expected to follow Virta's security and privacy procedures to ensure our patients' information remains strictly confidential. Security and privacy training will be provided.
Virta has a location based compensation structure. Starting pay will be based on a number of factors and commensurate with qualifications & experience. For this role, the compensation range is $157,138 - $180,619. Information about Virta’s benefits is on our Careers page at: https://www.virtahealth.com/careers.
This role is open to remote applicants, so please apply regardless of your location.