VALR Company Information
VALR has built the largest cryptocurrency platform headquartered in Africa, serving over 300,000 customers. We are proud to offer a suite of products that are helping increase economic freedom and build a financial system that recognizes the oneness of humankind.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at VALR, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture where we:
- Default to a high degree of autonomy and ownership combined with positive energy and truth-seeking
- Embrace feedback
- Disrupt ourselves
- Expect sustained high performance
Second, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Our first step on that journey is making digital currency accessible and approachable for everyone, which we’re working to achieve with our suite of products that serve South Africans and eventually customers globally.
With the above in mind and our goals of disrupting the financial system and serving humanity, we require unique, dedicated and incredibly talented people to join the VALR family.
Consolidations and International Tax Financial Manager
- We are seeking a Consolidations and International Tax Financial Manager to join the Finance team.
- Acting as the primary representative for financial and income tax reporting to management and to the relevant government institutions.
- Producing VALR’s consolidated financial statements, subsidiaries’ financial statements and other management reports.
- Providing accounting and advisory services related to VALR’s interests.
- You should have demonstrated financial analytical skills that include the ability to evaluate both industry and individual company information and comprehend advanced accounting topics.
- A great candidate is likely to be a crypto fanatic who has a deep interest in the crypto space and is looking for an opportunity to learn about this industry and contribute to the growth of VALR.
- Important characteristics include the capacity to get stuff done, lead oneself without significant guidance and desire to work across both financial and operational parts of VALR.
- We’re a startup operating in a fast-paced environment. Everyone here works exceptionally hard. You must be willing to work some evenings and weekends where necessary.
What you'll be doing:
- Ensure VALR complies with all regulatory requirements regarding financial reports. Taking ownership of VALR’s multi-currency consolidation process (including extensive joint venture accounting) for both monthly internal management and external statutory purposes.
- Research accounting literature to address current issues involving accounting and financial reporting.
- Perform analysis, make recommendations and prepare responses on consolidation matters.
- Prepare confidential and technical financial reports and forecasts.
- Administer, develop and improve the accuracy of the Consolidation Tool alongside training users on best practice use of the system.
- Oversight of the tax compliance of VALR – both corporate and VAT – including preparation and filing of company corporate tax packs and VAT returns (with support from professional advisors where required).
- Keep up-to-date with all international tax legislation and helping the department modify its practices based on changes in tax law and analysing tax laws and regulations to determine how they apply to specific situations.
- Prepare tax planning strategies and estimates of expected tax liabilities based on current tax laws and regulations.
- Ensure VALR’s compliance with all international tax laws and regulations.
- Transfer pricing – oversee process, ensure preparation and maintenance of applicable documentation.
- Key point of contact for auditors, taking day to day responsibility for the smooth running of the audit process.
What we look for in you:
- 8+ years work experience.
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting or international tax. A postgraduate degree is also desirable as well as any relevant advanced professional competencies evidenced by professional certifications such as a CPA, CA, ACCA, or CIMA.
- Possess significant relevant financial consolidation experience within a variety of industries; however, significant experience within the fintech industry is desirable.
- Strong analytic skills and a demonstrated sense of ownership and accountability.
- Strong English communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Critical thinking, problem solving, and research skills.
- Strong time management and multitasking skills.
- Strong organisational skills and ability to lead oneself without oversight.
- The ability to establish personal credibility with both internal and external stakeholders; demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and work well with fellow team members while planning, prioritising, and coordinating their workload to ensure critical deadlines are met.
Nice to haves:
- Experience in working with startups or in the crypto industry.
- Understanding and familiarity with cryptocurrency, DeFi, staking, fintech.
What you can expect from VALR
- Competitive salary: Get paid well to work in an exciting industry.
- Leave: Flexible leave policy with 3 weeks minimum.
- Remote work: Work from wherever you like - Employees to ensure that there is secure, stable internet connectivity in order to effectively work remotely.
- Home office setup: Mac laptop and a discretionary allowance to buy all the extras needed to work happily from home - all of it yours to keep after 3 years.
- Learning fund: R10,000 per employee per year for anything that helps you upskill for work, in addition to scheduled VALR training.
- Performance bonus: When you contribute to VALR’s success, you’ll be rewarded with discretionary bonuses.
- 3 months maternity and 1-month paternity paid leave.
- Regular get-togethers outside of work (COVID permitting).
- Annual company retreats (COVID permitting).