Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We serve everyone from one-person startups to over 30% of the Fortune 100 with a powerful, trust-driven platform that enables companies and talent to work together in new ways that unlock their potential.
Last year, more than $3.3 billion of work was done through Upwork by skilled professionals who are gaining more control by finding work they are passionate about and innovating their careers.
We’re looking for a high-impact Senior Director, Product Marketing to lead a dynamic team of product marketers and serve as the chief product marketing strategist sitting at the intersection of Marketing and Product. You and your team of product marketers will play a pivotal role in developing and translating customer and market insights that help drive clarity in understanding different customer segments, pain points and product opportunities that ultimately help drive the best product decisions for our customers. You’ll bring these products to market and work closely with Product, Design, Research and Sales to help inform iterative product development. We’re looking for a highly collaborative strategic leader and customer advocate with experience leading large product marketing teams in a high growth environment and a proven track record of high impact contributions that drive the development, understanding, consideration and adoption of our products.Your Responsibilities:
- Lead, mentor and develop a world-class Product Marketing team to be experts in the voice of the customer, consumer and market insights, masterminds of positioning and messaging, enablers of sales, accelerators of adoption, developers of go-to-market strategy, and removers of blockers
- Serve as company’s key product marketing thought leader and secure and distill market feedback into market intelligence based on industry needs and market opportunities in order to influence product strategy, the product roadmap, and the development of features and process
- Champion the customer and advocate for research and insights to own the voice of the customer, and leverage those data and insights to help drive strategy
- Own the intersection of Product & Marketing, serving as the two-way conduit and “Communicator-in-Chief” between the departments, ensuring high degrees of transparency and fluidity of information at all times
- Establish and lead best-in-class product marketing frameworks, process and principles, including defining and driving KPIs for the team
- Develop and establish deeply collaborative cross-functional partnerships with leaders and colleagues across Product, Design, Customer Support, Community, Sales and Marketing to enable the team and drive a consistent customer experience
- Demonstrate excellence in distilling product complexity into differentiated, compelling, memorable, simplified and ready-to-use positioning and messaging and go-to-market strategy that drives understanding, consideration and adoption
- You are a highly-experienced, strategic and customer-centric product marketing leader with excellent business acumen and a proven track record of developing and leading a team of high-performing product marketers and and building high-impact, collaborative relationships across the org that positively impact product strategy and outcomes
- You think like a quasi-product strategist, live and breathe the details of the product, and are known for being a “must listen to” voice in the room
- You embody perseverance, acute ownership, curiosity and collaboration, and are known for walking through walls and making fans along the way
- You are a strategic leader and strong operator who is both a player and a coach when needed, always willing and able to roll up your sleeves and get into the details when required
- You have excellent communication skills: You have a strong executive presence for collaborating with and influencing peers, colleagues, team members and executives. You can distill differing philosophies and approaches down to the essence and corral partners toward alignment. You can succinctly articulate goals, progress, and priorities in written, verbal, and presentation formats.
- You thrive in ambiguity and are an analytical and data-driven decision maker and strategist who is adept at problem framing, implementing strategic business recommendations, and using customer and market insights to inform and influence the best product for our customers
- You have a proven track record of driving complex organizational change and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, constantly evolving business environment
- You have product marketing experience in the tech industry, with marketplace experience being a plus
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 19 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. And oh yeah, we've also got amazing benefits - including medical insurance for you and your family, unlimited PTO, 401(k) with matching, 12 weeks of paid parental leave, and a generous Employee Stock Purchase Plan. Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about our benefits and the employee experience.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
To learn more about how Upwork processes and protects your personal information as part of the application process, please review our Global Job Applicant Privacy Notice