Do you want to ensure that progressive organizations have access to the best possible data, technology, and technical expertise? We know movement organizing and advocacy are more urgent than ever and many organizations and activists cannot easily access the tools to scale their work.
Launched in 2018, The Movement Cooperative (TMC) is a nonprofit founded with the aim of creating a cooperative community addressing these structural challenges. Currently, our membership stands at nearly 75 national member organizations and 500 state-based organizations covered under our licenses. We leverage the collective purchasing power of our membership to secure cooperatively held data and technology licenses shared across membership and invest in common infrastructure like technical staff to support our members in their work. TMC is also a member cooperative -- our board is elected by and made up of our member organizations.Position Overview:
For this role we are seeking someone further along in their career who will help define best practices, and delve into larger, more complex, and/or more open-ended data engineering projects.Key Responsibilities:
- Help to define best practices, and delve into larger, more complex, and/or more open-ended data engineering projects.
- Daily monitoring of data infrastructure, including TMC-built ETL workflows to move data from vendor tools to TMC’s data warehouse (e.g. job re-runs, column re-sizes, etc)
- Communicating in a timely manner with TMC members about bugs, outages, and updates
- Investigating and resolving breakages of TMC-built ETL workflows
- Transforming datasets to improve usability for member data analysts
- Building and maintaining data products that combine data held by different TMC member organizations for shared, communally beneficial purposes
- Contributing to and designing team documentation
- Engaging the open-source Parsons community
- Building new ETL workflows leveraging Python as requested by TMC members
- Acting as first user tester for and providing input on new TMC software products
- Working with external software vendors when building and troubleshooting TMC data infrastructure
- Robust Python knowledge and abilities
- Proficiency in SQL
- Proficiency with git and GitHub
- Ability to foster communications clearly and succinctly
- Ability to explain technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Inclination toward member focused customer service (i.e. technical support tasks)
- Ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
- Exceptional attention to detail, accuracy and consistency
- Familiarity with or participation in one or more open source communities
- Familiarity with Civis Platform, or other orchestration tools
- Experience in progressive political organizing, especially with political data
- Familiarity setting up and configuring services on AWS and/or GCS
- Familiarity with dbt, Prefect, or other commonly used data engineering/analytics engineering/data flow tools
- Experience working within a remote team or organization, or using remote communication software like Slack
- Prolonged periods of working on a computer
The Movement Cooperative is dedicated to providing all employees a competitive salary, world-class healthcare, dental and vision benefits, retirement, unlimited paid vacation and sick days, flexible holidays, and all-staff holidays, remote virtual office, paid parental and adoption family leaves, and health and wellness benefits. The salary for this position is $81,200 - $96,425. This is a full-time exempt position.
This position is within a union-represented collective bargaining unit, and specific terms and conditions of employment may be subject to a future collective bargaining agreement between TMC and the Union.Next Steps:
Please submit your resume and a cover letter detailing why you are interested in this role and your qualifications, in PDF format.
Here’s what you can expect from our interview process:
- Application Review
- Technical Assessment ~60 minutes
- Panel interview ~60 minutes
- Interview with CTO - 30 minutes
The Movement Cooperative recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship status, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.