Skylight is a web-based platform the Allen Institute for AI (AI2) offers at no cost to navies, coast guards, fisheries and park agencies to monitor their marine protected areas and sovereign waters. We provide real-time monitoring of vessel activities to help operations staff maintain awareness of their areas 24/7 using satellite and vessel data coupled with state-of-the-art artificial intelligence. Partners are critical to our ability to support countries around the world. Our partners range from national and international governmental organizations to conservation NGOs and technology organizations. Skylight is used in countries around the world. We collaborate with our partners to ensure Skylight’s potential value is realized in the field.
Who You Are:
You are passionate about the Ocean. You want to do work that makes the world a better place. Illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing is an economic, human rights and food security issue that impacts millions of people globally, costs billions of dollars, and is a key driver of ocean health decline. Skylight was developed to enable maritime analysts to identify suspicious vessel behavior and alert authorities, who can investigate and take action to reduce illegal fishing to secure marine protected areas. Skylight is growing and we are seeking a new team member to help our users and partners achieve their goals!
You are an experienced maritime or fisheries analyst interested in further honing your skills while learning how to apply cutting-edge developments in Artificial Intelligence. You have at least a Masters in computer science and 5 or more years experience applying satellite data to maritime operations. You have a passion for applying technology to do good in the world. The ideal candidate will tackle challenges with an entrepreneurial spirit and have the capacity to deliver across a broad range of domains and technologies. On the Skylight Team, the most critical skill is to learn and adapt quickly in order to meet the challenges put in front of us. As a ProductProgram Manager for technology partnerships, you will have had a diverse set of experiences demonstrating the ability to work with external partners, Skylight product and Skylight engineering teams to optimally deliver technology solutions for impact towards addressing IUU fishing and other maritime crimes.
Your Next Challenge:
On the AI2 Skylight team, you will work with talented engineers, domain experts, and product managers to deliver the tools, data, analytics, and capabilities that help countries around the globe combat IUU fishing. The Skylight team aims to expand our platform’s ability to better deliver timely alerts and information about suspicious activity to enforcement authorities.
As a member of the Skylight product team, you are out in front as the ‘face’ of Skylight, engaging new and existing partners. You understand the goals and challenges of our users as well as their expectations for Skylight, and are able to identify data and technology opportunities for helping them achieve their goals. You inform product priorities and feature development through your deep understanding of how technology and data can deliver on the needs of users.
You show strong ownership of solutions and an ability to translate between users, analysts, satellite experts, product owners, and developers. You will shepherd new capabilities, processes, and technologies from R&D stages in academia, labs, and commercial partners into production environments working closely with the Skylight engineering team to ensure these new tools meet user requirements and/or present transformative capabilities from the common good. Your role reports to the Skylight Director.
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Strong communication skills to engage with partners, government agencies, IGOs and NGOs;, manage relationships with US Government, EU, and technology partners and providers
- Be expert in satellite technology, earth observation constellations, current emerging sensor technologies, and how they may apply to our domain; perform technical due diligence and draft requirements for commercial data providers and evaluate relevant public data sources
- Remain aware of and assist in transitioning cutting edge AI technology from pure and early stage research from other divisions of AI2 into product capabilities
- Work with the Skylight engineering team to smoothly integrate and transition new data sources and technologies into the product.
- Work with Skylight users and partners to understand their goals and support their efforts towards achieving those goals with Skylight.
- Assist technical aspects of developing and improving training materials that will assist users in adopting new technology and tools to address their missions, including slide decks, user guide, webinars, and training videos.
- Work with the rest of the Skylight team to evaluate growth, value and impact of Skylight on a regular basis, such as analyzing platform usage, implementing surveys, and conducting interviews.
- Support media outreach and messaging to ensure it reflects Skylight’s value to users
What You’ll Need
- You have a passion for technology and ocean health. You are a subject matter expert from the maritime space and/or satellite technology.
- You have promoted a healthy, collaborative culture that improves the team’s overall effectiveness through mentorship, role modeling, etc.
- You are curious and humble about what you do not know and ask questions to key into what users need.
- You thrive in fluid, changing and ambiguous environments, often with competing objectives.
- You are willing to take on extensive responsibilities and “pitch in” to do whatever is needed to support the team’s goals and the mission.
- You are familiar with the concepts of machine learning and artificial intelligence.
- You work independently and think creatively to support customers. Skylight is a small, fast-paced team!
- You are willing to sometimes meet outside regular office hours to support international engagements. The Skylight team is flexible about working hours, recognizing that our work requires engagement with people in nearly every time zone on the planet.
- You have exceptional presentation, communication, organization, and project management skills.
- You have experience solving complex problems from different angles and an awareness and curiosity of other approaches
- You have at least a Master’s Degree in Computer Science or related fields
- You have at least 5 year’s product management experience.
- You are able to lead partnerships with technology providers and global partners, including government agencies
- You are able to develop strategies for advancing the state-of-the-art applications of technology in the maritime space
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Occasionally required to remain seated in a normal position for long periods of time.
- Regularly required to walk short distances
- Regularly required to maintain balance while walking, standing, crouching, or running.
- Routinely required to reach up and out with hands and arms.
Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen and headed by Professor Oren Etzioni. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 200+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at 206-548-5600.
- Team members and their families are covered by medical, dental, vision, basic life insurance, basic accidental death and dismemberment insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, and an employee assistance program.
- Team members are able to enroll in our voluntary life insurance program, our voluntary accidental death and dismemberment program, our health savings account plan, our healthcare reimbursement arrangement plan, and our health care and dependent care flexible spending account plans.
- Team members are able to enroll in our company’s 401k plan.
- Team members will receive $125 per month to assist with commuting or internet expenses and are eligible to receive up to $150 reimbursement for health and wellbeing expenses per month.
- Team members will also receive up to ten sick days per year, up to seven personal days per year, up to 20 vacation days per year and twelve paid holidays throughout the calendar year.
- Team members will be able to receive annual bonuses and can participate in the long-term incentive plan.