Remote hybrid: Persons in these roles are expected to spend part of their time on-site in our Seattle offices but may occasionally work remotely. On-site requirements vary based on position and team.
Who you are:
The Skylight team at AI2 is looking for masters, Ph.D., or senior undergraduate interns to join our team. Skylight uses remote sensor data and artificial intelligence techniques to produce actionable intelligence to protect the world’s oceans. You will have the opportunity to create novel machine learning solutions using computer vision and time series models that leverage satellite imagery and other remote sensor data. You will help build end to end machine learning services that are closely integrated with the engineering infrastructure in order to serve traffic at scale and in real-time. Skylight processes millions of data points daily with fully automated deep learning pipelines. Join a world class team of researchers, engineers, and product leaders passionate about creating next generation technology for social good. Over the course of your time on the Skylight team, you will build your resume and leave an impact on AI2 and the world.
The AST team will be reviewing applications and scheduling interviews for Summer 2023 internships in January/February. Start dates will be determined based on your availability and will be 12 weeks in duration and based in Seattle, WA.
We have a beautiful office near Fremont and Lake Union; catered lunches; great pay; smart, friendly and helpful co-workers.
What you’ll need:
- Students late in their program (juniors, seniors, or masters students) with a strong academic record
- Experience with deep learning, computer vision and machine learning, whether in a classroom or a previous internship
- Successful past internships (or full time employment) in a technical role
- A passion for applying AI to address global challenges
- Bonus for experience with any type of satellite imagery
- Expertise in machine learning
- Experience with major ML frameworks (PyTorch, TensorFlow, etc)
- Experience designing and developing ML algorithms
- Knowledge of the state-of-the-art in deep learning and a passion for reading and implementing papers
- Experience with Python
- Standard work office environment
- Working at a desk with a computer
- Frequent meetings in conference rooms and stand up tables
Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen. AI2 contributes to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
We also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is a place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 200+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or you may call us at 206-548-5600.