Full Stack Lead Engineer (Remote, USA)
At Stitch Fix, we are transforming the way you find what you love. We believe in combining the personalized insights of humans with the data-driven insights of technology. This is how we aim to personalize your style journey, saving you time to look great today while adapting to your changing style and needs over time.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Stitch Fix’s Vendor Buying Data team is looking for a bright, kind, and motivated Lead Software Engineer. Our team is responsible for product data and merchandise workflows that are critical to the success of our business. We are a platform team with many consumers, from Merchandising to Finance and Engineering to Data Science.
We operate in an agile-inspired manner across multiple time zones. We build modern software with modern techniques like TDD, continuous delivery, DevOps, and service-oriented architecture. We focus on high-value products that solve clearly identified problems but are designed in a sustainable way and deliver long-term value. We love building relationships that enable everyone to learn and ask questions. With a strong focus on growth and personal development, Stitch Fix is the ideal place to develop your skills in an environment that is built on mutual trust and respect.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Lead Engineer on our team, you’ll help us evolve our systems and data models to scale and support the future of inventory purchase processes here at Stitch Fix. You’ll collaborate with our merchandise users, product managers, finance & IT, data engineers, and data scientists to design, plan, and implement holistic technical solutions for our prioritized business and technical initiatives. By using data analysis and empirical evidence, you can frame business problems and drive right-sized solutions for our users.
Other responsibilities include:
- Operate as an engaged member of the engineering team - leading meetings, attending sprint ceremonies, providing input on technical design documents & project plans, pairing with other engineers to work toward a solution, etc
- Proactively communicate status updates or changes to the scope or timeline of projects to stakeholders and leadership
- Provide technical leadership, mentorship, pairing opportunities, timely feedback, and code reviews to encourage the growth of others
- Help prioritize the team’s technical backlog
- Participate in on-call support rotations and improve the on-call experience for others
YOU ARE EXCITED ABOUT THIS OPPORTUNITY BECAUSE
- You will build features that delight our internal users
- You will proactively collaborate with product, design, finance, algorithms, and merchandising to help set project scope, align stakeholders, and manage risks.
- You will chart a clear path for your team to implement by your side
- You iterate on agile-inspired processes to help build better software as a cohesive team
- You are passionate about guiding and supporting others' growth through various approaches such as mentoring, pairing, constructive feedback, and code reviews.
- You will shape and build out a system that integrates across engineering, finance, and algorithms teams
- You design systems with quality, reliability, and observability in mind
WE ARE EXCITED ABOUT YOU BECAUSE
- 5+ years experience in Ruby on Rails
- 2+ years of experience in technical leadership - including driving technical decisions and guiding broader project goals
- You practice curiosity and kindness
- You take initiative and operate with accountability
- You balance between building right and building practically all in the service of the customer
- You thrive in collaborative teams and have experience working with distributed and remote teams
- You lead technical design discussions and remove blockers
- You mentor and influence others by modeling how to deliver consistent, sustainable results
- You actively invest in the professional development and career growth of your teammates and peers
- You are motivated by solving challenging problems and navigating ambiguity.
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with schema design, distributed systems integration, building low latency, performant APIs, messaging, and master data management is a plus.
ABOUT THE TECHNOLOGY
Includes but is not limited to the following
- Ruby on Rails
- GraphQL and Postgres
- AWS services such as S3
YOU'LL LOVE WORKING AT STITCH FIX BECAUSE WE
- Are a successful, vibrant, and transformational company.
- Are a technologically and data-driven business.
- Are at the forefront of tech and fashion, redefining shopping for the next generation.
- Are passionate about our clients and live/breathe the client experience.
- Get to be creative every day.
- Have a smart, experienced, and diverse leadership team that wants to do it right & is open to new ideas.
- Believe in autonomy and taking initiative.
- Embody a remote-first culture.
- Offer transparent, equitable, and competitive compensation based on your level to help eliminate bias in salaries, as well as equity and comprehensive health benefits.
- Are serious about our commitment to life-work balance, and have generous parental leave policies.
Our anticipated compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets, and the range below indicates the low end of the lowest-compensated market to the high end of the highest-compensated market. This position is eligible for new hire and ongoing grants of restricted stock units depending on employee and company performance. In addition, the position is eligible for medical, dental, vision, and other benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external careers site.
This link leads to the machine readable files that are made available in response to the federal Transparency in Coverage Rule and includes negotiated service rates and out-of-network allowed amounts between health plans and healthcare providers. The machine-readable files are formatted to allow researchers, regulators, and application developers to more easily access and analyze data.