At Shipwell, we empower supply chain efficiency and service effectiveness at scale. The Shipwell platform includes capabilities previously out of most shippers' technical reach and affordability today. Our solution combines everything shippers need, from transportation management and visibility to procurement, in a comprehensive, easy-to-use platform. It will adapt and scale as market and business demand change, allowing shippers to operate, manage, and optimize the shipping process seamlessly. Industry experts have recognized Shipwell's traction in the market and have differentiated Shipwell as a leader in the logistics industry. Awards include Gartner Magic Quadrant for TMS 2023, 2022, 2021, Food Logistics’ 2022 Top Software & Technology Providers, and FreightWaves’ FreightTech 2022 and 2021 Awards for Innovation and Disruption in Freight Industry. Shipwell was also named the fourth fastest-growing company in North America on the 2021, 2022, and 2023 Deloitte Technology Fast 500 and Forbes 2020 Next Billion-Dollar Startup.
Shipwell is a fast-paced, high-energy start-up that strives to build the future of shipping every day. Diversity of thought and cross-department collaboration is very important to us. We deliver open, honest, careful communication and work as hard as we play. We create & deliver solutions that are revolutionizing the industry, which brings excitement and purpose to our work. If you are looking for a place that will help you tap into your best work-self and give you hands-on experience building something big, then we invite you to come and build the future of shipping with us!
About the Role
As the Director of Data Science & Analytics you will have deep experience using Data Science approaches to solve complicated optimization problems across the organization. The ideal candidate is a creative and passionate problem-solver who thinks big, understands the details, acts quickly, and is motivated to develop new approaches to optimize Shipwell’s business and platform using research, machine learning, and cutting-edge technology. We are looking for someone with strong experience solving difficult supply chain problems. You will have the opportunity to lead a team of talented data scientists/analysts to develop the team’s long-term roadmap to drive business strategies and improve operations.
What you’ll do when you get here:
- Responsible for building/executing data science roadmap and broadly engaging with the business to identify opportunities which have significant impact on Shipwell’s businesses
- Unlock value for customer through descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics
- Develop the data science roadmap for your team with input from key stakeholders in sales, product, engineering, and across the business
- Maintain and improve existing data pipelines, statistical models, and algorithms
- Enjoy building and managing a high-performance team by developing the best talent, providing mentorship, subject area expertise, learning and inspiration..
- Lead large-scale modeling, optimization, simulation and statistical analysis in the areas of supply chain network strategy, supply chain planning, and transportation.
- Communicate insights and recommend areas for further improvement to Shipwell’s platform and internal business
- Stay on top of the most recent technical trends and constantly look for new opportunities to advance data science
- Be an internal advocate for data science and look for opportunities where the application of data science and ML can be demonstrably advantageous or solves existing challenges
- Measure the impact of your team and set clear expectations and OKRs
What you need to have:
- Degree in areas such as Engineering, Statistics, Economics, and Computer Science.
- 10+ years of professional experience in advanced data analysis and modeling.
- 5+ years of experience managing and leading a supply chain data science/analytics team focused on optimization efforts in a retail, transportation, or similar company.
- Deep knowledge in supply chain management with demonstrated results in driving supply chain optimization efforts such as transportation optimization,
- Strong experience with data modeling techniques such as optimization, machine learning, and simulation, solving for optimal transportation routes, for example.
- Strong experience with Looker.
- Experience interfacing with Senior Business leaders to drive top and bottom-line improvements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skill and ability to successfully communicate ideas and sell strategic plans to senior executives.
- Project management skills and familiarity with agile planning methodology.
- 401k plan (including match)
- Generous parental leave
- Competitive salary and equity opportunity
- Team building events and office competitions
- Friendly, talented, and inclusive company culture
- Office in Austin, TX or 100% remote
- Health, vision, dental, teladoc, HSA, FSA, & Life insurance
- Incredible growth opportunity at a fast growing company
- Subsidized wifi, cell phone, and educational reimbursements
- Receive a technology package including a MacBook Pro
---The Salary Range for this role is between $180,000 - $220,000 including Variable Compensation based on Years of Experience, Skillset, and Location.
Here at Shipwell, we are a Remote Forward company. You have the opportunity to work within our office located in Austin, TX or you can choose to be fully remote.
Shipwell is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we will not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any sort. We do celebrate diversity and believe experience comes in different forms; many skills are transferable; and passion goes a long way. Diversity in our team makes for better problem solving, more creative thinking, and ultimately a better product and company culture.
Even more important than your resume is a clear demonstration of impact, dedication, and the ability to thrive in a fast paced and collaborative environment. Shipwell strives to have an inclusive work environment; so if you are hard working & good at what you do then please come as you are. We want you to contribute, grow, & learn at Shipwell and we encourage you to apply if your experience is close to what we’re looking for.
We are looking forward to adding new perspectives to our team!