Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
The Technical Support Engineer II will be responsible for managing and resolving challenging issues for Planet customers, partners, and field teams. This includes developing subject matter expertise within the technical support department and collaborating with other team members.
The successful candidate will be able to quickly gain an understanding of the Planet platform, API’s and internal applications. This is a customer-facing role in a very collaborative environment and therefore it requires strong interpersonal skills.
You will build strong relationships with customer engineering teams to ensure smooth product deployments and timely resolution of technical problems. Your contributions will directly enable customers to understand our changing world.
- Customer focused mentality
- Problem solver
- Team player
- Great communicator
- Great collaborator
Impact You’ll Own:
- Provide technical support to Planet customers, partners, and field teams via email, phone, chat, or in person (as necessary).
- Meet/exceed key performance indicators to drive quality and overall customer experience.
- Build strong relationships with partner teams including engineering, Customer Success, sales, and product management.
- Troubleshoot technically complex issues and understand how those issues impact the customers business priorities in order to develop solutions.
- Disposition and prioritization of product bugs and enhancement requests to the appropriate organization.
- Participate in projects that improve the efficiency, quality, and overall customer experience with Planet products and services.
What You Bring:
- 2+ years experience working as a technical support engineer in a customer facing role
- 2+ years experience in troubleshooting complex technical issues with the ability to understand how those issues impact the customers business priorities
- 2+ years experience in problem recreation and root cause analysis
- Fluent in English and advanced German language skills
- Familiarity with GIS applications (ESRI, QGIS)
- Familiarity with geo-spatial data, satellite imagery, and remote sensing
- Working knowledge of the components in a web applications stack
- Experience with Zendesk, JIRA, or comparable ticketing systems
- Familiarity with relational databases (e.g. MySQL, Oracle)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly articulate solutions to technical problems
- Proven ability to maintain a professional demeanor when handling complex user issues
- Ability to work independently, as well as contributing as a team player
- Ability to multitask and prioritize workload
- Willingness to travel as necessary to client sites
- Participate in scheduled weekend on-call support as needed
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Additional company winter holidays and regular global days off
- Remote friendly work environment and flexible working hours
- Contribution to our growth by offering equity options for employees
- Giving back to the community - one day per quarter for charitable work
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Home office budget
- Employee Resource Groups providing empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.