Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
We are looking for a dedicated Senior DevOps Engineer to join the Corporate Engineering team! As a Senior DevOps Engineer you will work together with other engineers and be responsible for the continuous operation, further development and enhancement of Planet’s corporate infrastructure and applications.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Development and operation of Planet’s corporate infrastructure
- Implementation and integration of improvements and new systems
- Supporting the companies operations by delivering continuous availability of our base infrastructure and applications
- Be a member of an impactful and growing team
What You Bring:
- Experience working with large web applications or computer clusters
- Familiarity with a web app software ecosystem like Python or Ruby
- Hands-on experience with Linux deployment and administration
- Experience using configuration management tools (i.e. Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Saltstack) in a production environment (we use Salt and Terraform)
- Strong understanding of Network principles
- 5 years experience in infrastructure development and/or operations
- Experience deploying and operating large scale services on GCP or a similar public cloud infrastructure
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Operational experience in deploying and maintaining databases
- Operations of ElasticSearch installations
- Experience using Docker, ECS or Linux Containers in a production environment
- Experience with a development focused operations team
- Awareness of best practices about systems security and defensive programming
- Experience with version control e.g. Git
- Experience with programming and scripting languages e.g. Python, Shell
- Experience in deploying and maintaining virtual machines e.g. KVM
- Experience in software development using CI/CD processes and tools e.g. Jenkins, GitLab
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Additional company winter holidays and regular global days off
- Remote friendly work environment and flexible working hours
- Contribution to our growth by offering equity options for employees
- Giving back to the community - one day per quarter for charitable work
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Home office budget
- Employee Resource Groups providing empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.