What’s the job?
Percona Support is a global, elite team of engineers who love getting to the bottom of weird and interesting database behaviour. We understand our customers’ business needs and the nuances of their technical environments. This allows us to help our customers see the big picture and identify opportunities to improve their overall database infrastructures.
This is not a boring, entry-level role where you’ll just be triaging the boring and monotonous. We are not a call-centre operation, we are a team of senior IT folks with a collective knowledge that solves problems for Inc 50. companies and works with some of the largest PostgreSQL deployments in the world.
You’ll be teaming with some of the most well-known database ninjas in the industry who are even better teammates, friends and mentors. This is a mid-level position, where senior personnel will be assisting you to improve and develop your own skills and become more proficient with databases than you can possibly imagine.
This is a 100% remote role, so you can be located anywhere in the world. All you need is a decent, stable internet connection.
What does it take to be a Percona Super Hero?
· Good hands-on knowledge of PostgreSQL, PostgreSQL Provided tools and Contribution modules
· Be skilled with some of the PostgreSQL ecosystems of tools and technologies for Backups, Database Maintenance
· Knowledgeable about performance tuning, query optimization, & index tuning
· Know-how of backup solutions and basic understanding of how backup works in PostgreSQL and tools such as pg base backup, pgBackRest and WAL-G, etc, and also the Point-in-Time-Recovery
· Some experience with High Availability solutions (manually managing Physical Standby and switchover/failover, Patroni, repmgr, etc)
· Exposure and practice with zero-downtime procedures (index rebuilds, partition maintenance and upgrades)
· Good understanding of monitoring requirements
· Demonstrable experience of administering Linux based systems ability to troubleshoot methodically, identifying and applying fixes for known errors, and when necessary, capacity to think outside of the box to resolve complex issues
· Be self-taught and enthused to grow your skillset with new technologies as the industry continues to evolve
· Availability to travel for the occasional team meeting, conference or customer visit
· Experience working with customers in English
What Will Make you Stand Out:
· MySQL knowledge
· Experience working in SLA-bound operations
· OpenSource Community contributions (could be a blog)
· Good practice with working over screen-sharing/phone
· Knowledge of any of the following technologies
· Patroni / Repmgr / Stolon
· Cloud Services such as AWS and RDS, Azure, GCP
· Percona Monitoring & Management (PMM) and other monitoring tools
· Configuration management solutions such as Ansible, Puppet or Chef
· Good grasp of ANSI SQL 92 to 2016 and ability to write/rewrite SQL statements involving Window functions and recursive CTEs
· Indexing methods including Full-Text Indexing
· Contrib Modules of PostgreSQL
· Most popular extensions - pg_repack, pg_partman, pg_audit etc
· Foreign Data Wrappers of PostgreSQL (postgres_fdw, oracle_fdw, tde_fdw, file_fdw etc)
· Advanced Linux troubleshooting tools (gdb, perf, strace, bpftrace, tcpdump, etc)
· Experience programming in C