Hi, we're Oscar. We're hiring a Technical Product Manager Intern, Process Engineering to join our fast growing engineering organization.
Oscar is the first health insurance company built around a full stack technology platform and a focus on serving our members. We started Oscar in 2012 to create the kind of health insurance company we would want for ourselves—one that behaves like a doctor in the family.About the role
As a Technical Product Manager Intern on the Process Engineering team, you will work with a Technical Product Manager to solve impactful, important, and interesting business problems related to internal processes that support Members, Providers, Claim Operations, Virtual Operations, and more. You'll own delivering custom developed solutions within our Business Process Management (BPM) software platform. This includes building main systems from conception and ideation, through design and development, into deployment, and onto continued maintenance. You'll be responsible for gathering and defining the products' requirements, determining which features are practical, and validating the final product with internal end-users including other Oscar engineers, data scientists, operations specialists, financial team's, and others across the organization.
You will report to the Senior Manager, Technical Product Management. This is a remote / work-from-home role. You must reside in one of the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, or Washington, D.C. Note, this list of states is subject to change. #LI-Remote
The base pay for this role is: $42 per hour.
You will begin in May or June 2023 and will end in August 2023.Responsibilities
- Strategy Development: Identify the most important needs of the organization that are addressed through solutions designed within our BPM software.
- Design and Deliver Mission-Critical Software: Help support the business in their daily work by identifying important ways to optimize their time through product enhancements and automation.
- Provide Context: Support the Technical Product Manager by providing clear and well written context, in the form of Product Requirements Documents (PRDs) and agile stories, on what is being built and why it's being built. Dive deep on the problem that is being solved to help guide the solution design work within the business, infrastructure, and process engineering teams.
- Process Development: Engineer and implement consistent organizational processes, high-tech standards, and clear engagement models across many business teams in which you support.
- Effectively Collaborate: Work together with other Technical Product Managers, Product Managers, Project & Program Managers, and Technical Leads, across various engineering teams. Engage with IT, Insurance & Service Operations, Security, and customer facing teams from across the organization.
- Customer Focus: Develop a deep understanding of customer/user needs, facilitate communication such that users understand their relative priority and what they can expect from the Process Engineering team at Oscar.
As an intern, you will have the opportunity to solve business problems through projects such as:
- Internal Resources -- Help design and launch an internal directory to track Engineering team staffing and system ownership
- Healthcare Operations -- Design and implement a solution which allows our internal employees to service our members and providers
- Enhance Oscar's tech stack -- Build custom tools which can be leveraged by future +Oscar business partners which allow them to deliver world class health insurance experiences to their members
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program in Organizational Management, Business Management, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Marketing or related field and scheduled to graduate in 2024
- Have communication experience working with software engineers, developers, and/or technical teams while in school or at a previous internship
- Think creatively about how to get the information you need to prove or disprove your hypothesis using data (hard data skills like SQL a plus)
- Understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) from ideation through sunset
- Great at communication, and you excel at coordinating work with multiple people in a host of different roles and parts of the organization
- Stakeholder and project management experience including the ability to manage projects, deadlines, and handle prioritization with competing pressures using Scrum or other Agile methodologies
- Ability to distinguish opinion from fact with a data-driven approach
- Ability to motivate teams that do not report directly to you
- You are excited to take part in reinventing healthcare
- You have experience delivering solutions within Appian (or other low-code BPM tooling)
- You have experience with Google BigQuery, and Periscope
- You have worked with Jira, Zendesk, Monday.com and other service, backlog, and project tracking tools
This is an authentic Oscar Health job opportunity. Learn more about how you can safeguard yourself from recruitment fraud here.
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives..
Final offer amounts, within the base pay set forth above, are determined by factors including your relevant skills, education, and experience.
Full-time employees are eligible for benefits including: medical, dental, and vision benefits, paid holidays, paid vacation and sick time, paid parental leave, 401(k) plan participation, life and disability insurance, and paid wellness time and reimbursements.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
To protect the health and safety of our employees, we require any employee conducting in-person work* to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date. If you are unable to be vaccinated due to medical or protected religious reasons, please reach out to our Benefits team at firstname.lastname@example.org to submit an accommodations request.
*Note: In-person work includes: employees required to work from our offices, employees conducting sales work in the field and employees conducting at-home or in-person visits with members.