The Nylas Developer Relations team is looking for a Senior Technical Writer to own the strategy, execution, and improvement of Nylas’ docs while working in a highly cross-functional role with product, developer relations, and engineering. We’re looking for someone who has an obsession for writing docs developers love and is eager to build a world-class documentation experience that other companies look to as an example for best practices.
As the Senior Technical Writer, you will create systems to effectively manage work streams like issue reports and rollout of documentation for new API features and developer tools. You know how to manage stakeholders and their expectations, and you value building relationships. And on top of this, you’re a world-class technical writer!
You’ll get to work with a DevRel lead that is *excited* about docs, has *Docs for Developers* open while writing this JD, and understands the tremendous effort required to ship and maintain great docs. You’ll also get to work with a team of Developer Advocates who are already engaged and making contributions to docs.
If you’re looking for a role where you can get in some early wins while helping plot and build the future of documentation for a rapidly growing API platform, you will thrive here and we want to talk to you!
- Grok the current state of affairs, then craft and execute an action plan for what we can do *now* to benefit developers and serve internal stakeholders who are shipping product and onboarding customers.
- Work with stakeholders to create a future vision for Nylas Documentation, and a roadmap to get there.
- Establish a partnership with our Developer Advocates, SDK team, Product team, Engineering team, and others to create the documentation our developers need.
- Build sample code, demos, and code tutorials that closely match our target customers’ use cases.
- Create a polished and delightful docs experience for developers who are integrating with the Nylas platform.
- Create release notes.
- 6+ years’ experience writing technical documentation for a developer audience.
- Strong technical acumen; you can read and write code and have experience with a server-side language (our SDKs support Node.js, Java, Ruby, and Python, with more on the way).
- Comfortable writing documentation in Markdown.
- Automation experience with GitHub Actions, command line tools, or the like.
- Experience working with an open source community.
- Enthusiasm about the Docs meta game.
- Execution mindset.
- Effective at stakeholder management and inclusion (internal and external).
- Ownership mindset.
- Intellectually curious.
Please provide links to the following with your application:
- At least 2 technical writing samples
- At least 2 open source community interactions that involve another person (PRs, PR reviews, reported issues, etc)