As a member of our growing Data team, the Senior Data Engineer will be a key senior team member responsible for helping make very efficient and effective data pipelines using AWS services, Python, Snowflake, and orchestration engines like Prefect/Airflow. Collaborating with other Data team members and managers, you will develop an intimate knowledge of our databases and work with our data warehousing and Looker developers, and other stakeholders across the company.
Why you’ll love this role:
- You will work with leaders across Newsela and directly inform them with reliable insights via data processing
- You’ll also help guide and mentor other data engineers and bring in best development processes and practices to the team, including code reviews, QA processes, documentation, formal release process, etc.
- You will work cross-functionally to effectively gather requirements, reduce errors, and address communication gaps between teams
- Ultimately, your work will drive meaningful enhancements to the learning and teaching experience for students and teachers across the U.S. and help improve the future of K-12 education
Why you're a great fit:
- You have 5+ years of experience in solving complex data engineering problems with demonstrated strong analytical skills to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- You are proficient in Snowflake, SQL, Python, AWS services, consuming and building API services, command-line tools, and PREFECT (similar to Airflow) orchestration engine
- You have experience with a modern CI/CD platform (drone.io or similar)
- Your proficiency with the above tools has helped you ingest data from any/all kinds of sources and transform and deliver it effortlessly as data marts, wide tables, or any other form helpful to the downstream consumers
Base compensation range: $125,000 - $175,000. Total compensation for this role also includes incentive stock options and benefits. This compensation range may be adjusted based on actual experience.
One of the fastest growing tech companies in K-12 education, Newsela was founded on the principle that while every child may have unique learning preferences, they all deserve a rich learning experience that ignites a love of learning. We built our platform based on learning science research to deliver the most engaging, authentic content to modernize how teaching happens in the classroom. Along with interactive assessments and tools, we provide teachers with digital content at five reading levels -- from +100 of the best sources -- that is relevant to the diverse backgrounds and interests of their students. Since we started in 2013, we’ve established a presence in 90% of U.S. K-12 schools and over 2.5M teachers and 37M students have registered with Newsela.Why you’ll love working at Newsela:
Health & Wellness: Access to the world’s leading medical experts for healthcare (pets included!). Discounts and resources to stay healthy: mind, body, and soul
Work From Home: Almost all of our roles are fully remote - tech stipend included!
Supporting ALL Families: Supplemental programs and time off to take care of your family and yourself
Time Off: Flexible PTO to recharge, including Sabbatical Leave
Inclusive Experiences: Robust DEIB curriculum, Identity & Experience Groups (Affinity Groups + Employee Resource Group), Authentic & Transparent conversations with Executive Leadership Teams, and integration of DEIB lens across Talent lifecycle processes
Professional Development: Holistic Learning & Development Programs that enable meaningful & inclusive experiences, programs that build future-focused competencies, cohort & community learning sessions that foster a sense of belonging, and individual development plans aligned with your personal and professional aspirations to turn goals into reality.
Make A Difference: No matter your role or department, the work you do each day helps share the future of education and improves the lives of students and teachers.