About the Team:
At Netlify, our Data & Insights team is a core part of the go-to-market strategy. We have a passion for data, are strategic partners to the business that define critical analytical problems, and drive data-driven recommendations using narratives and visualizations. We’re remote-first and are distributed across North America. Joining our team is a unique opportunity to work with some of the smartest, most motivated, and kindest people in the industry. We are looking for doers and builders, people who like to roll up their sleeves and get things done.
What You’ll Do:
As a Staff Data Engineer, you are a member of a team of data-driven influencers, setting the standard for how data and analytics are used at Netlify. You will be responsible for expanding and optimizing our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for cross-functional teams. The ideal candidate is an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up.
- You’ll own the data pipelines and infrastructure leveraged for billing, reporting, analysis, and ML applications.
- You’ll work with your Data Infrastructure and Platform team to design, build, and deliver innovative data applications under aggressive deadlines.
- You’ll proactively lead complex and cross-functional, abstract, mission-critical initiatives that bring operational excellence with a focus on performance analysis, optimization, and tuning.
- You’ll be a driving influencer on optimizing or even re-designing our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of data products and analytics initiatives.
- Work closely with data analysts and data scientists across finance, sales, product, and marketing and build the infrastructure required for them to deliver high-quality analytics.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members that assist them in building and optimizing their respective data initiatives.
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture.
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet business requirements.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading data from various sources using SQL and AWS ‘big data’ technologies.
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
What You'll Bring:
- 10+ years experience in a Data Engineering role with company-wide impact.
- 2+ years leading a Data Engineering & Analytics Engineering team
- Experience owning and managing data pipelines and workflow management tools (i.e., Census, Fivetran, and Airflow)
- Experience with object-oriented/object-function scripting languages: Python or Java
- Proficiency in writing performant, complex SQL queries combining multiple sources of data
- Preferred exposure to data transformation tools (i.e., dbt) and big data tools (i.e. Kafka), as well as familiarity with analytical development and data visualization tools
- Experience with source/version control (i.e., Git)
- A preferred history of working with AWS cloud services: EC2, EMR, RDS, and/or Redshift
- Experience with Data Warehouses (i.e, Snowflake or Redshift)
- Experience with self-directed management of stakeholder expectations
- An appetite for learning and passion for the role of data in helping solve complex questions
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Experience working at, or a strong understanding of saas startups is helpful
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
When applying please include:
A resume or short listing of your job history & skills (link to a LinkedIn profile would be fine). We appreciate a cover letter explaining why you would enjoy working in this role at Netlify to get to know you a bit better, though this is not required and will not impact your application. Our mission is to “build a better web” and that cannot be done without a diversity of skill sets, backgrounds and thoughts.
Of everything we've ever built at Netlify, we are most proud of our team. Netlify is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are devoted to building a team of people with diverse backgrounds and lifestyles. Driving equality empowers our team, enables us to innovate, and helps us maintain a more inclusive environment. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, military/veteran status, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences. If we can do anything to provide a better interview, i.e. accommodate a disability, then please let us know by emailing email@example.com.
At Netlify, we’re on a mission to build a better web by making it easier than ever to build, deploy, and scale web applications. We are a Series D company with a $2B valuation and have raised over $200M from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz, Kleiner Perkins, EQT, Bessemer, BOND and Menlo Ventures. As a globally distributed organization, we aim to create a company culture where the best idea can come from anywhere and strive to be thoughtful, caring, and collaborative in our work within and across teams. To learn a bit more about our team and who we are, make sure to visit our About page.
At Netlify, we are committed to equal pay for equal work. Our base compensation for this role is targeted at $178,500 - $277,500 for US-based locations. Netlify anchors our compensation philosophy on a market-based approach, therefore salary ranges may differ depending on the cost of labor in a particular location. For example, the top of the range reflects the highest paying market in the US and above range for many US cities. In addition to robust benefits, participation in Netlify’s equity plan, and incentive pay/commission for eligible roles. The starting pay will be determined based on multiple factors, including expertise and skills, market demands, experience, internal equity, and applicable geographic location. These compensation packages and ranges are subject to change and may be modified in the future. Your Talent Acquisition partner will be available to answer any questions about this policy and/or the compensation range of your specific location during the hiring process.