We envision a world with radically expanded opportunities for investment and participation in private markets. Our mission is to unlock the full potential of investment partnerships. Privately owned assets like commercial real estate, private equity, venture capital, crypto, and others make up half of our financial ecosystem yet remain inaccessible to most people. We are digitizing these markets and as a result bringing access to millions who don’t currently benefit from one of the most productive corners of our financial ecosystem. If you care about making the world a better place by making markets work better through technology—all while contributing as a member of a values-driven organization—we want to hear from you. We’ve doubled our team in each of the past four years while maintaining an excellent culture and staying true to our values. We are well-funded and building for the long-term. We need YOU to help us achieve our mission.
Juniper Square invests in a hybrid workforce and we offer three work modes: full time remote work from your home office, a hybrid of home and office work from one of our office hubs, currently in San Francisco and Austin, or full time work in an office hub. The company headquarters is in the Cloud and we invest in digital-first operations. We have communities of remote employees across the US and Canada, with more substantive local remote working communities in Seattle, Denver, Chicago and New York, but we are open to employees working in several states and provinces. We are happy to share with interested applicants where and how we work.
Read more about the team, culture, and recent projects on our Engineering Blog.GP Experience
Juniper Square serves two sides of the private capital markets, the investment managers (GPs) and the investors (LPs). The GP Experience (GPX) track aims at reducing the cost, time, and risk of error that investment managers currently experience when performing routine activities for a fund. We provide them enhanced workflows, and thus, enhanced productivity.
By automating these time-consuming tasks, customers are able to focus their efforts where their time is best spent: finding new investments in their preferred market and increasing their value for the benefit of their customers, the investors. We serve as a System of Record for them, replacing spreadsheets with a more structured approach that provides easier ways to fulfill their ongoing obligations to their investors. Our customers are often able to scale their assets under management by a factor of 2-4x, which is a key indicator of success for investment managers.
As a member of the GPX, you’ll have an opportunity to work on a variety of projects, including complex web-based workflows, systems responsible for transferring millions of dollars, and an ETL pipeline powering an analytics dashboard. You’ll work with AWS services and assist the engineering team in moving to a service-oriented architecture, write and tune high-performance code, enhance our GraphQL schemas, and architect solutions to protect our customers’ highly sensitive, private data.Team Equities
We are Team Equities, part of the larger track called GP Experience (GPX). We are responsible for building and maintaining the foundational blocks of the GPX Software. This encompasses the Ownership graph for all positions, the flow of capital from investors to assets, performance metrics, and investor data. We are also responsible for enabling new asset classes such as Private Equity Venture Capital (PEVC) and many others in the future.About the role
As a Staff Software Engineer at Juniper Square, you will be primarily a technical leader, identifying and acting on opportunities to increase the efficiency, stability and consistency of the engineering team. Other responsibilities could include leading an engineering team and collaborating closely with product, design, and QA teams to build and deliver delightful user experiences, making complex workflows simple and intuitive.
You will be leading efforts to instill and iterate on engineering best practices, ensuring a healthy codebase, ultimately leveling up the team.
Specifically, you will:
- Provide full stack focused technical leadership, leveling up existing team members and helping build high-performance teams
- Position our entire software stack - both application and DevOps related - for success as we transition from a startup to an large organization
- Actively seek opportunities to improve our platform and developer experience and own those initiatives through execution
- Implement and ensure best practices across the teams to maximize developer productivity
- Own the long-term vision of key focus areas such as Juniper Square’s design system, GraphQL schema design, build-and-deploy process, and code quality initiatives including Typescript and test coverage
- Contribute directly to efforts through building features and frameworks, conducting code reviews, participating in architecture and system design discussions
- Actively monitoring and addressing production issues
- Write high-quality code that is well-tested, secure, and maintainable
- Lead the development of complex workflows, working with both frontend and backend engineers
- Mentor other engineers and designers across the company on best practices for full stack development
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or equivalent work experience
- 6+ years of experience working with modern web application frameworks (preferably React)
- Expertise in Python (or other server-side web application development languages)
- Solid understanding of server-side MVC frameworks (like Django, Rails, Pyramid etc.)
- Experience with SQL database schema design and query optimization is a plus
- Experience operating Linux clusters (Amazon Web Services is a plus)
- You must be flexible and adaptable—you will be juggling multiple projects in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Health, dental, and vision care for you and your family
- Unlimited vacation policy and paid holidays
- Generous paid family leave, medical leave, and bereavement leave policies
- 401k retirement savings plan
- Healthcare FSA and commuter benefits programs
- Freedom to customize your work and technology setup as you see fit
- Professional development stipend
- Monthly work from home wellness stipend while we're all remote
- Mental wellness coverage including live coaching and therapy sessions
- Home office productivity allowance to help create an ideal work from home setup