Social Media Expert Pelawatta, Western Province, Sri Lanka Closing date: May 12, 2023
The International Water Management Institute (IWMI), a CGIAR Research Center, is looking for a competent, self-motivated, and dynamic candidate to join as Social Media Expert.
The Communications and Knowledge Management (CKM) staff supports the implementation of IWMI’s Communication strategy through the delivery of communications activities. This position will focus on social media communications, to enhance the impact of the institute’s research findings and raise the profile of IWMI’s work broadly as well as that of water systems science in general.
The Social Media Expert will be in charge of IWMI’s corporate social media accounts and further support the development of other products of the Communications team. Collaboration with communication staff at HQ and in the regions, as well as research leaders will be essential to promote research outputs through global and regional media.
Duties AND Responsibilities:
Social media tasks:
- Lead and manage social media strategy and content creation:
- Manage all IWMI corporate social media accounts (, , , Instagram, and any future platforms).
- Ensure a smooth pipeline of content on a daily basis.
- Update IWMI’s Social media policies and guidelines as and when required
- Recommend and launch social media campaigns.
- Manage social media ad campaigns and promotional budget.
- Be the main point of contact for all social media queries and support the development of social media trainings for IWMI staff, in particular regional and project communications staff.
- Manage IWMI’s social media monitoring/scheduling tools while paying attention to social media Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Monitor IWMI’s regional social media channels for quality assurance.
- Track IWMI social media analytics and coordinate with One CGIAR KPI working group.
General communications tasks:
- Provide support to IWMI’s corporate communications, both internally and externally.
- Contribute to the development of communications content in the form of blogs, press releases and research.
- Manage IWMI's content workflow.
- Provide communications support for local and international events (online and offline).
- Manage local media outreach, and be the first point of contact for local news outlets.
- Contribute to the production of IWMI’s corporate products and publications.
- Liaise and manage work with external consultants and other partners.
- Guide communications interns as and when requested.
- Contribute to developing the institute’s visual identity while improving the visual representation of IWMI's online products.
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- A degree or diploma in communication, journalism or a related field (or equivalent professional experience)
- 5 - 8 years’ experience in communications in an international organization.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Extensive experience with all social media platforms, including running campaigns and gathering engagement statistics.
- An excellent command of spoken and written English.
- Strong writer
- Able to work independently and make editorial decisions.
- Good organizational skills, with the ability to handle multiple tasks, attention to detail.
- Creative and innovative approach to communications
- The willingness to learn new techniques and approaches.
- A high level of familiarization with contemporary communication trends and technologies.
- Positive team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with people from a wide variety of cultures.
- An excellent working knowledge of Windows Office software, as well as social media software.
- Ability to grasp scientific and technical concepts and communicate them clearly to various audiences.
- Excellent client orientation, responsive to requests.
- Demonstrated understanding of agricultural, environmental and development issues preferred.
- Willingness to undertake limited regional travel to Asia, Africa, Europe and other locations as required.
What we are offering:
This is a nationally recruited position and only candidates who are eligible to work in Sri Lanka will be considered. IWMI offers a competitive salary and benefits package, inclusive of health insurance, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, and long-term disability coverage. The duration of the contract will initially be for a period of three years.
HOW TO APPLY: We will be accepting applications through 24:00 (IST) May 12, 2023 (applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis). Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
IWMI believes that diversity powers our innovation, contributes to our excellence, and is critical for our mission. We offer a multi-cultural, multi-color, multi-generational and multi-disciplinary working environment. We are consciously creating an inclusive organization that reflects our global character and our commitment to gender equity. We, therefore, encourage applicants from all cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, and gender identities.