We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There’s no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work—whether it’s from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop—while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Instacart Data Scientists understand our customers and shoppers and continue to investigate and improve the experience with our product. It's about knowing which problems are critical to solve, and how much effort to invest in addressing them. You will be a trusted partner in uncovering barriers in the product’s usability and utilize these insights to inform product improvements that drive angle-changing growth.
ABOUT THE TEAM
We are the “thought partners” and problem solvers for the company, dedicated to making grocery shopping effortless for everyone and finding solutions to large-scale opportunities that will forever change the way people feed themselves and their loved ones. Our teams work at the intersection of data and decisions. Data Scientists at Instacart are embedded within product teams and serve as the data driven thought leaders. We are currently seeking experienced data scientists to support these areas of our business:
- Shopper, Marketplace & Fulfillment
- Customer Growth and Experience
- Retailers including Enterprise
ABOUT THE JOB
- Own analytical frameworks that guide the product roadmap
- Design rigorous experiments and interpret results to draw detailed and actionable conclusions
- Develop statistical models to extract trends, measure results, and predict future performance of our product
- Build simulations to project impact of various product and policy interventions
- Enable objective decision making across the company by democratizing data through dashboards and other analytical tools
- Use expertise in causal inference, machine learning, complex systems modeling, operations research, economics, etc. to shape the future of Instacart
- We have a rich experimentation and a/b testing culture.
- This is a fast-paced and constantly changing environment. Sometimes our problems are ambiguous and you must be ready to solve them quickly, are they ok with that? Better yet...do they thrive on that?
- 6+ years experience working in data-driven analytics/predictive analytics/statistical modeling/data mining
- Ability to run rigorous experiments and come up with scientifically sound recommendations
- Ability to translate business needs into analytical frameworks
- Ability to code in Python, R and write complex, efficient SQL queries to extract data
- Experience with a/b testing and ability to run rigorous experiments to come up with scientifically sound recommendations
- Good understanding of how to grow and shape data tools and datasets to improve data-driven decision making
- Ability to thrive in an unstructured environment, working autonomously on a strong team to find opportunity and deliver business impact
- PhD or MS in computer science, machine learning, statistics, physics
- Bonus points but not required, having worked on Search ranking, Ad-tech, Risk or Fraud
- Experience working on gig economy issues, multi-sided marketplaces, logistics, or e-commerce Experience building ML models
- Experience in supply & demand shaping, logistics, pricing and other types of Marketplace project work
- Interesting side projects or Kaggle competition results
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.