We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There’s no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work—whether it’s from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop—while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Are you ready to take your development skills to the next level? We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our growing Instacart Design System team. You’ll be a key player in the evolution of our product suite and help build a world-class design system that supports all our business pillars. You will help evolve and scale our design system efforts in partnership with Engineers, Product Designers, Product Managers and other cross-functional partners.
The Instacart Design System team is building the next generation of our world-class design system–IDS Pantry–so you will be part of the growing team that’s bringing to life the future vision of our design language, influencing the evolution of Instacart app, Shopper app, Instacart Platform and all of Instacart’s whitelabel mobile apps and sites.
Our products are used by millions of people every year. To meet–and exceed–expectations we are rapidly improving and modernizing our front-end code base, helping raise the quality bar for our products across the entire organization. Sound exciting? Keep reading.
ABOUT THE TEAM
The IDS team is a highly collaborative multidisciplinary team with senior specialists from Product Design, Motion Design, Accessibility, Program Management and Engineering–we’re looking to expand our Engineering team!
You will be also partnering with Senior and Staff level engineers to continue scaling our design system efforts by balancing the needs of all sides of our multi-sided marketplace ecosystem.
ABOUT THE JOB
We believe that a design system should emerge from the needs of our teams and are looking for a strong software engineer excited to put their users first. You will be part of a team of ~12 professionals with extensive ownership and the ability to help set best practices and contribute to improvements.
As a craft leader, you'll be responsible for contributing to the vision, strategy, and development of IDS Pantry–Instacart’s new Design System. You will advocate for our visual design, motion design, accessibility and scalability standards to ensure consistency in how we build components and experiences. You will identify design patterns across web and mobile platforms with an understanding of how to implement those into the system in a scalable way.
You will also be proactive in spearheading new initiatives, coding and documenting components, building design system tooling to improve workflows and overseeing UI component design while providing timely feedback in reviews to improve system guidelines. You will think and plan strategically for short and long-term initiatives to continue shaping the product.
- 5+ years of Android development experience creating delightful and engaging products. Furthermore, strong understanding and knowledge of Android frameworks and build systems such as Kotlin, Jetpack Compose, Gradle, JUnit, etc.
- 1+ years of experience building frameworks in Android for teams that have features heavily depending on your framework
- Ability building and maintaining a robust design system with a high level of design craft
- You can design for scale with the entire system in mind
- Strong understanding and proven experience driving WCAG accessibility standards through design system components and guidance
- Understanding of complex transitions, micro-interactions, and in-product animations and experience with vector animations
- Solid communicator, comfortable seeking and receiving feedback
- Strong analytical and debugging skills
- Strong sense of ownership working with a large codebase on a multifunctional team while maintaining high engineering standards and bringing consistency to our codebase
- A collaborative mindset to be able to partner with engineers, designers and PM's from multiple teams to co-create impactful solutions while supporting system contributions
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to communicate and present ideas clearly and influence key stakeholders at the manager, director, and VP level
- Strong understanding of UI performance and latency optimization
- Strong general programming and algorithm skills
- Strong appreciation for aesthetic, attention to detail and accuracy in the implementation.
- Experience developing digital products or using existing design tools (Figma, Sketch, XD, etc)
- Experience translating prototyped Figma designs into production-ready system-level components
- Data driven mindset
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.