• Thorough understanding of at least one modern programming language (at Hopper we use mostly Scala and Python)
• 4+ years professional experience in data engineering capacity with experience designing and building ETL pipelines
• Expertise with deduping data, and web scraping
• Experience working in a cloud environment with data warehouse technologies such as BigQuery, Redshift, Athena, or Snowflake
• Excelled in an environment with cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Software Developers, and other highly skilled specialists
• Exposure to data-intensive systems as well as writing production-quality software
• Experience with, or willing to learn, distributed system development in Scala
• Thorough understanding of data engineering, designing and building data pipelines at scale
• Experience in Recommendation Systems and Feeds-ranking a strong plus
• Experience with data parsing, transformations, normalization, loading, and storage
• Experience with data streaming technologies such as Apache Kafka, Google Pub/Sub, or Amazon Kinesis
• Proven track record of leading less-experienced engineers in building stable and scalable production quality code
• Proven ability to build prototypes and take a data-driven approach to product development, testing and measuring new ideas very quickly
• The ability to bring leading industry techniques and technologies to the table
About the job
As a Senior Data Engineer on the Homes team, you’ll have the opportunity to work on a greenfield product within Hopper’s $1B+ travel ecosystem. You’ll work alongside a talented and experienced team of developers, designers, and travel industry experts to bring Hopper’s travellers the best price, selection, convenience, and booking flexibility in home rentals. In tandem with Data Scientists, you will be a trusted partner in building out critical components for extracting and ingesting data from websites using scraping tools. You will own the creation of these tools, services, and workflows and we will rely on you to test and ensure accuracy and quality. These tools will be critical to the success of the Homes team as it will ensure that our customers are guaranteed the lowest price for their vacation rental.
More about Hopper
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com
, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!