The GitLab DevSecOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that foster a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute. Learn more about Life at GitLab.
This position is 100% remote.What we are looking for
Driven by incredible growth in our customer base and product, we now need to evolve our existing modern cloud Data Platform into a modern cloud Big Data Platform with capabilities to store, transform, and model data outside of the confines of a traditional Data Warehouse. We are searching for a Senior Data Security Engineer that dedicates their time and expertise to keep the Data Platform secure from an internal- and external perspective. This role requires a strong background in Data Engineering and Data Security.
This role requires an analytical and business-oriented mindset with the ability to implement rigorous database solutions and best practices in order to produce and influence the adoption of strong quality data insights to drive business decisions in all areas of GitLab. The Senior Data Security Engineer will be dedicated to keep data safe and will be the extra set of eyes in the team. You will be responsible building new pipelines and infrastructure, ensuring the pipelines are encrypted and safe.
Don’t have a ton of knowledge about GitLab yet? Don’t worry. We have an extensive onboarding and training program at GitLab and you will be provided with necessary DevOps and GitLab knowledge to fulfil your role.
The Senior Data Security Engineer role extends the Data Engineer role.Job responsibilities in scope:
- Works together with the GitLab security department to keep our Data Platform secure from an internal- and external perspective.
- Establish policy and data security controls to protect data in our Data Platform.
- Ensures the compliance of policy, processes and procedures.
- Assess security effectiveness of our Data Platform.
- 3-5 years minimum, hands-on experience deploying production quality code
- Professional experience using Python, Java, or Scala for data processing (Python preferred)
- Knowledge of and experience with data-related Python packages
- Demonstrably deep understanding of SQL and analytical data warehouses (Snowflake preferred)
- Hands-on experience implementing ETL (or ELT) best practices at scale.
- Hands-on experience with data pipeline tools (Airflow, Luigi, Azkaban, dbt)
- Experience with Salesforce, Zuora, Zendesk and Marketo as data sources and consuming data from SaaS application APIs.
- Share and work in accordance with our values
- Constantly improve product quality, security, and performance
- Desire to continually keep up with advancements in data engineering practices
- Catch bugs and style issues in code reviews
- Ship large features independently
- Successful completion of a background check
- Ability to use GitLab
- A shared interest in our values, and working in accordance with those values
- Strong knowledge of data security principles, best practices, and industry standards.
- Experience with data protection technologies, such as encryption, tokenization, data loss prevention (DLP), and secure data storage.
- Familiarity with security frameworks (e.g., NIST Cybersecurity Framework) and regulatory requirements (e.g., GDPR, HIPAA).
- Proficiency in security assessment tools and techniques.
- Knowledge of network protocols, firewall technologies, and intrusion detection/prevention systems (IDS/IPS).
- Experience with security incident response and forensic investigation.
- Ideally tertiary educated in Information Security or hold certifications preferred but not essential
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.Hiring Process
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.