Flipp is a pre-IPO company on a mission to help shoppers provide for their families by making life more affordable by leveraging technology. We work with the largest retailers and manufacturers in the world to help them transform their businesses and connect them with millions of shoppers through our next-generation digital shopping marketplace. Our award-winning Flipp app is used by millions of shoppers every week to make better purchase decisions and to save 20-40% off their bills.
With the recent increase in costs of living, Flipp’s mission has never been more relevant. Flipp’s Shopper Consideration Platform allows retailers and manufacturers to create digital experiences from their savings & deals content. These experiences help Shoppers decide what to buy and where to buy it. Flipp then connects those retailer and manufacturer experiences to millions of shoppers through Flipp’s owned and operated channels.
As the Senior Manager, Engineering (Data Platform), you will collaborate with product and other data leaders, and build the long-term roadmap for the team in order to achieve business and engineering objectives. You'll be responsible for setting the people strategy within the team, including team design and growing the skill and capability of team members. You will partner with key stakeholders to promote technical methodologies and processes to improve business value.What you'll get the opportunity to do:
- Contribute to the long-term vision and strategy of the team vertical
- In collaboration with the product manager and scrum master, establish and drive the long-term product and technical roadmap
- Accountable for the successful delivery of high quality software for the team
- Design and organize the team structure in order to grow the skillset and capabilities of team members
- Be the decision-maker for their team, balancing timelines, risks and benefits
- Work with the vertical Director to come up with communication plans to communicate broader organizational decisions and direction for the team
- Drive team health and cohesion, and ensure a good mix of technical and soft skills within the team to achieve team objectives
- Execution of recruitment efforts (such as key owner as hiring manager for the area, external events to represent Flipp) as designed by the Director in the area
- Create and own the technical roadmap for the team ensuring business value is realized for all stakeholders
- Set team goals and KPIs based on business value and priorities
- Ensure team members adopt a goal driven mindset in order to motivate and drive team performance
- Identify new engineering opportunities for the team’s systems and services
- Push for technical growth and excellence within the team, while balancing timelines and estimates to achieve better business outcomes
- Partner with product, agile and engineering director to drive alignment against broader company priorities and initiatives
- Communicate early with internal stakeholders when issues arise
- Interface and collaborate with other engineering teams to achieve larger technical and business initiatives
- Drive cross-functional alignment for teams’ focus and priorities
- Proactively identify and communicate risks with stakeholders and product managers
- Influence stakeholders to manage expectations and set priorities
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Math, Engineering, or related field
- 5+ years of experience managing data platform team
- 10+ years of working in a Data engineering department with experience writing data pipelines on big data platforms such as Hadoop, HDFS, Kafka
- 5+ years of designing and managing big data platforms such as Hadoop, Kafka or cloud based managed solutions
- 5+ years of experience working with data processing languages such as pySpark, Hive, Scala Spark
- Advanced people management and coaching skills: Coaches people through performance or people issues, and capable of making tough people management decisions
- Proven track record of achieving objectives with high quality in environments with multiple stakeholders
- Decision-making: Experience working in an environment where management of technical debt or initiatives had to be weighed against product initiatives
- Strong knowledge and experience in software development life cycle, agile methodologies, and architectural principles
From working with top technologies to sending you to industry-leading conferences, we will make sure you have all that you need to expand your knowledge and grow your career. We have a trust-based culture where all team members are empowered to work in the way that’s best for them to thrive.
Our culture is at the centre of all that we do, and it has been recognized through numerous accolades over the past three years including: Best Workplaces in Canada, Deloitte 50 Best Managed, Best Workplaces in Canada for Women, Most Admired CEO and Top 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures.Here’s how to apply:
If you’re interested in working with us on the future of shopping, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. While experience and skill sets are valuable, growth potential and attitudes are equally important. If you’re prepared to grow dramatically with your team at a world-class learning organization, consider applying. We understand that the most creative solutions require diversity in thought and life experiences.
Flipp is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or gender identity. We are proud to be a welcoming space for employees, of every background, to bring their whole selves to work with confidence. Flipp is committed to providing appropriate accommodations to ensure our selection process is equitable, and such accommodations can be made available on request. If you require an accommodation, please contact your dedicated recruiter directly.