Working location: Virtual
Work term commitment: 12 - 16 months beginning Spring 2024 (May)
Flipp is a pre-IPO company on a mission to help shoppers provide for their families by making life more affordable by leveraging technology. We work with the largest retailers and manufacturers in the world to help them transform their business and connect them with tens of millions of shoppers through the next generation digital shopping marketplace. Our award-winning Flipp app is used by millions of shoppers every week to make better purchase decisions and to save 20-40% off their bills.
With the recent increase in costs of living, Flipp’s mission has never been more relevant. Flipp’s Shopper Consideration Platform allows retailers and manufacturers to create digital experiences from their savings & deals content. These experiences help Shoppers decide what to buy and where to buy it. Flipp then connects those retail and manufacturer experiences to millions of shoppers through Flipp’s owned and operated channels.
Here's why students from across Canada choose Flipp!What you’ll be doing:
- Joining a team of talented data engineers who use cutting-edge big data technologies to solve impactful business problems and build cutting-edge big data technologies ranging from low latency microservices that process data in real-time to scalable batch systems that process more than 300 million records a day to enable advanced analytics.
- Working directly with Engineering, Data Science & Data Analysts teams to create reusable experimental and production big data pipelines that power data driven decisions across the organization
- Improve and maintain our data warehousing solutions and deliver trusted and easy-to-use datasets to both internal & external stakeholders
- Participating in design discussions with senior team members and find innovative solutions to new and existing business problems
- Developing and enhancing continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) pipelines for the team
- Implementing testable coding practices & engineering safety practices as guided by your mentor or coach through code reviews
- Performing code reviews and providing constructive feedback for other team members
- Being on-call to support critical issues in production by responding quickly and finding solutions
- Explore new technology options for data processing, storage, and share them with the team
- Develop tools and contribute to internal & open source projects wherever possible
- Scala/Java, Python, Kafka, Spark, Spark Streaming, Airflow, Elasticsearch, etc.
- Modern event driven microservices architecture
- GitHub, AWS, CircleCI, Datadog, Docker, Kubernetes, Databricks
Don’t worry if you have different experience, a willingness to learn & continuously improve is key to success at Flipp.What you’ll bring:
- Software development experience in one or more general purpose programming languages
- High growth expectations for yourself and your team, and a willingness to push yourself and your team to achieve them
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases, and basic experience with AWS and microservices is a plus
- A quick learner with a strong sense of ownership, curiosity and dedications towards projects with empathy and awareness towards team members and stakeholders
- A willingness to share insights, mistakes and receive feedback from peers
- Can excel individually and collaboratively with a team
- An ability to process tough problems
- Strong communication skills to convey technical concepts and points to non-technical people
- Candidate for Bachelor’s degree Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent
From working with top technologies to sending you to industry-leading conferences, we will make sure you have all that you need to expand your knowledge and grow your career. We have a trust-based culture where all team members are empowered to work in the way that’s best for them to thrive.
Our culture is at the center of all that we do, and it has been recognized through numerous accolades over the past three years including: Best Workplaces in Canada, Deloitte 50 Best Managed, Best Workplaces in Canada for Women, Most Admired CEO and Top 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures.Here's how to apply:
Please note, a PEY co-op is a 12-16 month work term. You will need to be enrolled in a PEY program with your school to apply.
If you’re interested in working with us on the future of shopping, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application.
While experience and skill sets are valuable, growth potential and attitudes are equally important. If you’re prepared to grow with your team at a world-class learning organization, consider applying. We understand that the most creative solutions require diversity in thought and life experiences.
Flipp is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Accommodations are available on request for all aspects of the selection process.