The Intercept is seeking an experienced copy editor to join our editorial team. The ideal candidate is a sharp, creative editor with a keen eye for detail, a mastery of grammar and mechanics, web production skills, and enthusiasm for The Intercept’s mission, style, and core areas of coverage. The copy editor will be responsible for ensuring clarity, accuracy, and consistency across a range of content, from breaking news stories and photo captions to membership emails and long-form investigative projects. They will also help develop our house style guidelines, draft display copy, and produce The Intercept’s semiweekly newsletters.
The Copy Editor/Digital Producer will report to the Deputy Managing Editor and work collaboratively across editorial departments alongside the Senior Copy Editor to bring stories to publication.
- Edit stories and other content grammar, spelling, syntax, and punctuation while preserving style and voice
- Spot check numbers, links, proper nouns, and other small, searchable facts
- Produce stories in WordPress, i.e. format articles, write SEO copy and URLs, and other supporting web elements
- Curate and edit semiweekly newsletters
- Other appropriately related projects/duties as assigned
- 3+ years of copy-editing experience, including for digital news publications
- 1+ year of newsletter production experience, or strong interest in working on newsletters
- Familiarity with content managing systems; WordPress is preferred
- Working knowledge of AP Stylebook and a nerdy interest in researching, debating, and developing internal style guidelines
- Experience using workflow tools and internal communication platforms in a newsroom setting
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to respond to shifting priorities and demands based on the news cycle and organization's needs, including occasionally being on call for breaking news after hours and on weekends (a typical work day is from 10:00 AM to 6:00 p.m. ET)
This position is recognized as part of the Writers Guild of America, East, Inc., “Union.”
About The Intercept
The Intercept is an award-winning news organization dedicated to holding the powerful accountable through fearless, adversarial journalism. Its in-depth investigations and unflinching analysis focus on politics, war, surveillance, corruption, the environment, technology, criminal justice, the media, and more. The Intercept gives its journalists the editorial freedom and legal support they need to expose corruption and injustice wherever they find it.
About FIRST LOOK MEDIA
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Field of Vision, and the recently launched Topic SVOD service, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.