We’re looking for a Database Administrator to join our Systems Engineering, Production team. This role is for someone who is passionate about building innovative solutions and being exposed to new challenges and technologies while making an impact. This role is available to candidates across Canada, excluding Quebec.
What your team does:
Clio is looking for a Database Administrator to join the team that builds and manages our MySQL databases and related systems.
We're building a cross-Canada, distributed team that forms the foundation of Clio's engineering organization:
- We build, secure, and maintain the infrastructure and critical services that power Clio’s core applications.
- We help Clions make data-driven decisions by providing observability and transparency for all of our environments.
- We collaborate with the Clio product development teams to build tools that improve workflows and remove manual labour or friction points.
What you'll work on:
- You’ll be responsible for preparing Clio’s database infrastructure for the future in terms of scale and reliability;
- You will collaboratively define the roadmap to support business goals, and satisfy application requirements;
- You will investigate and solve performance problems with our MySQL databases
- You will use your experience to guide development teams on how to improve and optimize their use of the databases;
- You will scope, define, and collaborate with developers to implement automation and processes that power reliability of Clio’s datastores;
- You'll raise the bar by spreading database knowledge to your team;
- Elevate and educate our engineering processes within Clio
What you may have:
- You are equally energized by both your own technical work as well as contributing to the career growth of your team;
- You have strong opinions that are weakly held, and foster that same attitude in others;
- You challenge and enable your team to take initiative, explore, and implement new improvements while balancing that work against satisfying the requirements as defined by the business;
- You believe in providing honest, actionable feedback to your team, and encourage your team to reciprocate;
- You devise roadmaps to guide the future of our datastores infrastructure in terms of scale and data security
What you should have:
- Hands-on technical expertise with building and configuring MySQL database servers; Bonus points for understanding how to do this in a cloud environment
- Experience investigating and solving performance problems with MySQL databases
- Experience using ProxySQL and the percona toolkit
- Be prepared to work with and develop the MySQL knowledge to rest of the SRE team
- A portfolio of successful projects (as well as a collection of lessons learned from failed projects).
Don’t have all of those? The most important part of this job is that you approach new challenges with curiosity and a drive to apply what you learn to fixing root causes, not just symptoms. Deep curiosity and a desire to learn will help you succeed in this job, combined with a drive to help others by shipping code.
Serious bonus points if you have:
- Experience using migrations tools, pt-online-schema-change or gh-ost
- Experience managing hosts with Puppet.
- Experience working with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience developing with Ruby or GoLang.
- Experience managing AWS resources with CloudFormation or Terraform.
- Experience scripting with BASH.
Our team shows up as their authentic selves, and are united by our mission. We are dedicated to diversity, equity and inclusion. We pride ourselves in building and fostering an environment where our teams feel included, valued, and enabled to do the best work of their careers, wherever they choose to log in from. We believe that different perspectives, skills, backgrounds, and experiences result in higher-performing teams and better innovation. We are committed to equal employment and we encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
Clio provides accessibility accommodations during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more about our culture at clio.com/careers
At Clio, we are on a mission to transform the legal experience for all. As the world's leading provider of cloud-based legal software, we provide lawyers with low-barrier, affordable solutions to manage and grow their firms more effectively, more profitably, and with better client experiences. Through the cloud, we believe that we can help create a more inclusive legal community and a more equitable legal system.
We are an award-winning team that has been recognized as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies, Canada’s Most Admired Cultures and has topped Fast Company’s list of Most Innovative Companies. In line with our mission, we’ve been up to some big things, including becoming a multi-product company, launching a $1 million COVID-19 Legal Relief Initiative, and most recently, securing a US$110M Series E funding round and a USD $1.6B valuation.
This is a historic moment in the growth of legal technology! As the first legal practice management unicorn globally, and one of only a handful of Canadian unicorns, this is only the beginning. If you’ve ever wanted to do the best work of your career, while having a meaningful impact in the lives of others, then Clio is the place for you.