Are you inspired to create tight, intrinsically fun moment to moment action gameplay? Do you find yourself daydreaming of ways to create exciting, competitive player encounters? Do you think of ways to solve problems systemically to make as broad of an impact as possible?
Bungie Studios is looking for a team-centric design lead with a strong eye towards action combat to lead multidisciplinary teams working on the content, systems, and tools that makes our player experiences first-class.
As the Gameplay Design Lead, you will work closely with the Game Directors and guide teams of designers, artists, engineers, and testers responsible for crafting, maintaining, and upgrading our AAA action game. You will ensure that your area collaborates well with peers and other areas so the action game is well integrated with other systems and content. You will mentor and guide designers in your area to ensure their work creates amazing player experiences and advances their craft.
You are the creative leader of multiple interdisciplinary teams who create a compelling action game ecosystem. You will be accountable for:
- Interpreting direction from Game Directors into actionable goals for the Gameplay Leads and teams to implement
- Communicating the progress and relative importance of these features upward to Project Leadership
- Setting high-level design guidance and creating alignment through communication, collaboration, and coordination between the project’s combat system teams and the rest of the organization
- Evaluating and committing to features and updates proposed by the Gameplay Leads and teams
- Looking ahead and planning with other area discipline leads to forecast and address future needs and issues for the game
- Providing ongoing direction, feedback, and support for the work being done by all teams within the Gameplay area
- Evaluating and planning for live-game updates to gameplay balance and tuning
- Managing and mentoring designers on your team
- Demonstrable knowledge of player character and AI combat systems for action games.
- Experience successfully leading multiple interdisciplinary teams through several game development cycles
- Knowledge of many types of action games (FPS, 3rd person, melee combat, ARPG, etc.) and online play (cooperative, competitive, shooter, MMO, etc.)
- Ability to interpret and achieve high-level experience goals set by Game Directors
- Ability to balance asks for short-term problems alongside long-term goals
- Self-motivated with an ability to inspire and motivate your team
- Experience hiring, training, mentoring, and managing peer and junior designers
- In-depth understanding of game engines, technology, and the game development process
- Thorough oral and written communication skills
- People management experience
- Discipline-leadership experience
- Experience developing live-service games
- 20 days of accrued time-off in the form of PTO and sabbatical days, depending on the level of the position
- 10 paid Floating Days annually, prorated in the first year of employment based on start date
- 10 paid Bungie-observed holidays annually
- One hour of Paid Sick Time (PST) for every 30 hours worked