New York, NY, Columbus, OH and Remote
Here at BARK, we love dogs and their people. We’re looking to make all dogs happy throughout the entire world (we’re not kidding). Think Disney for dogs -- we make magic for dogs and their people through our products, events, and experiences. Our ambition level is high, the opportunity is huge, and our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly-themed subscription of all-natural treats and clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 70 million toys and treats to dogs across the world and use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives and ways to make magic between dogs and their people. We’ve since expanded into other offerings as well, as we aim to become THE Dog Company for every family with a four-legged, belly-scratch-loving, interspecies family member.
Meet the Data, Analytics & Machine Learning (DAML) Team, a squad of professionals dedicated to transforming how BARK leverages data to create delightful experiences for dogs and their humans. Comprising data scientists, data engineers, and BI professionals, we're a close-knit family united by our passion for innovation, creativity, and, of course, our love for dogs.
Here's what sets us apart:
Innovation: We employ cutting-edge techniques to analyze and manipulate data, driving key business decisions and enhancing customer experiences.
Collaboration: Creativity meets collaboration in our team, where data-driven insights are paired with dog-driven enthusiasm.
Culture: We celebrate our unique quirks and talents, fostering a diverse, lively, and supportive environment where everyone has a voice.
This high visibility role offers an opportunity to join our dynamic squad, working hand-in-paw with partners throughout BARK to deliver science-driven improvements across the business. If you're someone who thrives in a diverse, lively, and supportive environment, you might just be the perfect fit to join our pack!
WHO WE’RE SNIFFING FOR
We’re seeking a hands-on Lead Data Scientist with a special focus on marketing analytics to become a key contributor to BARK's data-driven decision-making process. Your expertise in uncovering insights and trends will not only shape personalized marketing strategies but also influence many aspects of the business, from marketing to product development to finance. In this role, you will combine technical prowess, leadership, collaboration, and innovation to enhance customer experiences, align with organizational goals, and make a tangible impact within our unique dog-loving ecosystem.
- Marketing Analytics: Apply machine learning and statistical methods to drive targeted marketing campaigns, improving customer engagement and ROI.
- Improve Key Metrics: Apply data-driven approaches to create recommendations aimed at improving key performance metrics such as retention, campaign and funnel conversion, new subscribers, customer lifetime value, and more.
- Demand Forecasting: Drive innovation in ML-driven approaches to demand and financial forecasting, employing advanced predictive modeling to support business planning and strategy.
- Communicate Results: Proactively and clearly communicate results and insights to relevant stakeholders, translating complex data into actionable business strategies.
- Collaborate And Mentor: Work and coordinate closely with peers, mentoring them in applying data science methodologies. Engage in cross-team collaborations to align data science initiatives with organizational goals.
- Stay Current & Innovate: Keep abreast of emerging technologies and methodologies in data science, continually seeking opportunities for innovation and improvement within BARK's data-driven strategies.
- Analyze Data: Analyze and manipulate raw data to extract insights and drive decision-making. Utilize statistical analysis and machine learning techniques to uncover patterns and trends.
- Create Pipelines & Tools: Design and implement data processing pipelines, visualizations, and internal tools for comprehensive analysis.
- Machine Learning & Statistics: Experience in applying machine learning algorithms and statistical concepts to real-world problems, generating insights, and creating actionable recommendations. Knowledge of various supervised and unsupervised learning techniques is essential.
- Python Programming: 4+ years of hands-on experience writing readable, modular Python code. Proficiency in data manipulation, analysis, and algorithm development is required.
- Data Handling: Proven ability to handle varied and complex data, including experience working with large datasets, data cleaning, preprocessing, and transformation.
- Industry Experience: Experience in data-driven marketing, forecasting, or product development is essential. Cross-functional work experience preferred.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Communication Skills: Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills, with the ability to clearly and concisely communicate results and concepts to relevant stakeholders, including c-suite partners.
- Interpersonal Skills: Collaboration and teamwork, comfortable leading projects, coordinating peers and mentoring those around you.
- Adaptability: Demonstrated aptitude and appetite for picking up new technologies and methodologies, adapting to changing business needs.
- Attention to Detail: Sharp analytical mind with meticulous attention to detail and understanding of nuance.
- Business Acumen: Passion for growing and strengthening a business using data-driven approaches, with an understanding of key performance metrics.
- Statistical Analysis: Breadth of knowledge in statistical concepts and techniques, with the ability to apply them in diverse contexts.
- Machine Learning Expertise: Familiarity with popular python-based machine learning frameworks and libraries such as scikit-learn, xgboost, and PyTorch.
- SQL Mastery: Ability to write complex SQL queries and perform data manipulation across multiple data sources. Redshift and BigQuery experience is a plus.
- Linux/Bash Skills: Moderate grasp of bash/Linux, including scripting and system operations.
This position is a full-time salaried position. It is located at our office in New York but open to remote possibility as well. We offer health insurance for both you and your pup, 401k, unlimited PTO, cold brew on tap, and a dog to pet anytime you wish.
At BARK, we believe that diversity fuels innovation and creates a richer experience for our employees and customers. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Therefore, we actively encourage applications from individuals of all races, ethnicities, religions, genders, ages, sexual orientations, disabilities, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our team unique. If you share our passion for dogs and are excited about working in an inclusive environment where your individuality is celebrated, we want to hear from you! Experience with dogs is a plus, but all backgrounds and experiences are valued here.
Please Note: BARK requires all employees or guests entering our space to provide proof of up to date covid-19 vaccinations. Exemption and/or accommodation requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- The base salary range for this position is $160,000 -$190,000
- This position is eligible for equity
**This compensation range is based on BARKs good faith estimate as of the date of this posting and may be modified in the future. Actual pay for this position will depend on a variety of variables including location, travel, internal equity, experience, education, skills and expertise.