Abl believes every student deserves the opportunity to maximize their potential by making informed and meaningful choices about their lives and futures. Unfortunately, many students aren’t given the same opportunities due to systemic inequities perpetuated by outdated, unresponsive systems. Abl offers advanced, data-driven software and services to help K12 school and district leaders identify and remove those barriers to equity.
We are looking to add a talented Backend Software Engineer to be a part of the team that builds the systems that will power Abl's data collection, equity analyses, and student recommendations. The role will involve a high degree of curiosity, empathy and eagerness to learn, often in cross-collaboration with other departments.
In this role you will:
- Build tools for users throughout the education domain - from superintendents to students - to help them make strategic choices towards achieving their goals
- Design and implement systems that help schools solve for multi-objective optimization problems, e.g. to maximize equity and justice goals for students given finite resources
- Map a complex domain with inter-related entities, data, and processes
- Help design, build, and maintain the infrastructure needed to achieve our goals performantly and at scale
- Foster inclusive relationships and collaborate cross functionally with incredible designers, data scientists, education experts and other engineers.
Ideal candidate has:
- Experienced building backend systems, utilizing modern frameworks and libraries, which we have seen to be 3+ years of relevant experience
- Strong fundamentals in software engineering, especially with Ruby (and Rails). We also have some small code in Python and we maintain several PostgreSQL databases associated with our Rails apps.
- A faster learner mentality who can quickly pick up new technologies.
- An evidence-based mindset - strong opinions, weakly held; a dedication to measurable impact
- An eagerness towards collaboration, with strong communication and interpersonal skills
Bonus Points if:
- Strong fundamentals in stream processing and data processing systems. (Kafka, DynamoDB, BigQuery, Parquet, ect.)
- Experienced working at remote first tech start up
- Passionate about education and equity
- B.A/B.S in Computer Science or related field
Note to Candidates: Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they check all the boxes listed in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our qualifications described.
Benefits/What we offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Flexible PTO for our employees to use as needed
- Stock option plan to give our employees a direct stake in Abl's success
- Comprehensive health coverage (medical, dental, vision) subsidized up-to 100%
- Remote first company with in-person events throughout the year
- Generous Parental Leave and Adoption Assistance for your growing families
- Pre-tax benefits including 401k, FSA, and HSA with $1000 towards the account
- Learning & Development opportunities and reimbursements for further professional training
Abl employees share a passion for revolutionizing education through school design, whether or not they have prior experience working in the field. We value diversity of background and thought. We strive to create a safe and supportive environment where trust, communication, creativity, and humility are valued as highly as technical skills. We believe shared ownership builds a more resilient company, and we tackle hard problems, together. If that sounds like your dream work environment, we look forward to hearing from you.