In a world where shipping expectations and complexity are greater than ever, Shipwell is on a mission to empower supply chain efficiency at scale across every company size, stage, and industry. Supply chain solutions today are highly disconnected, rigid, and difficult to use, but Shipwell is disrupting the status quo. Our solution combines everything our customers need in a comprehensive platform that adapts as the market and business demands change, so they can effectively manage the entire process in one place and never have to rip and replace. Shipwell is proud to be recognized by industry experts as a leader in shipping and logistics, including Gartner Magic Quadrant for TMS and Forbes 2020 Next Billion-Dollar Startup. Join us and be part of the Shipping Evolution(R)
Shipwell is a fast-paced, high-energy start-up that strives to build the future of shipping every day. Diversity of thought and cross-department collaboration is very important to us. We deliver open, honest, careful communication and work as hard as we play. We create & deliver solutions that are revolutionizing the industry, which brings excitement and purpose to our work. If you are looking for a place that will help you tap into your best work-self and give you hands-on experience building something big, then we invite you to come and build the future of shipping with us!
About the Role
The role of the Data Scientist is for individuals passionate about identifying and delivering the right Business solution for each client using AI/ML. Our Data Scientists are keen to understand our customer needs and to build impactful models around pricing, optimization, recommenders and automation tools
The Data Scientist will be involved in planning solutions for customers and various teams. Once the project has begun, the Data Scientist will be responsible for the execution of our established workflow, working with teams in engineering to identify data ingestion and transformation needs, exploration of the data and reporting findings, modeling, and evaluation of training iterations. It is a key part of the role to be able to explain in non-technical and technical terms the chosen modeling approach and findings from data exploration or training results.
What you’ll do when you get here:
- Use your machine learning (ML) expertise to research and recommend the best approaches to provide technology and business solutions by utilizing statistical/ mathematical methods (classification, time-series analysis, regression, statistical inference, …) or deep learning techniques.
- Come up with innovative, repeatable, business use cases for real-world recommendation techniques, and quickly develop prototypes to test these use cases.
- Translate customer pain points, needs, and requirements into creative ML solutions.
- Help define the automated AI/ML pipeline for both training and runtime predictions.
- Assist in the development of guidelines, best practices, and knowledge-sharing documentation
- Ability to deliver on schedule and communicate effectively to ensure alignment between operations and technology.
- Ability to educate customers on project goals and solutions and set realistic expectations.
What you need to have:
- 5+ years of professional business and data analysis or engineering experience, with strong focus on practical real world results.
- Proven track record working in start up like environments or innovation teams, developing ML models, and supporting data pipelines in a production environment.
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Understanding of iterative development methodologies
- Strong knowledge and understanding of current ML technologies & platforms and real-world applications of ML in the enterprise.
- Knowledge of current technologies and ML frameworks (TensorFlow, PyTorch, sklearn, Keras,…)
- Hands-on experience in data engineering/processing frameworks (databricks, spark, Snowflake, …)
- Experience with the MLOps framework (Kubeflow, MLFlow, airflow, …) is a big plus.
- Skilled ability to obtain, understand and respond strategically to client needs.
- Highly detail-oriented, well-organized, and able to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and conflict-resolution skills.
- Be hungry to do the work, to build new things and to be self driven, this isn’t research nor a strictly learning role, this is about doing. Prove you got skills and get rewarded.
- Proven track record of delivering on time, on budget, and meeting commitments.
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Flexible to new situations and challenges.
What is Preferred:
- Master’s Degree in Data Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or Computer Science or related major.
- Current and active AI/ML Certification in major cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, GCP, IBM) is a big plus.
- Experience working in the field of logistics.
- 401k plan (including match)
- Generous parental leave
- Competitive salary and equity opportunity
- Team building events and office competitions
- Friendly, talented, and inclusive company culture
- Office in Austin, TX or 100% remote
- Health, vision, dental, teladoc, HSA, FSA, & Life insurance
- Incredible growth opportunity at a fast growing company
- Subsidized wifi, cell phone, and educational reimbursements
- Receive a technology package including a MacBook Pro
---The Salary Range for this role is between $130,000 - $150,000 based on Years of Experience, Skillset, and Location.
Here at Shipwell, we are a Remote Forward company. You have the opportunity to work within our office located in Austin, TX or you can choose to be fully remote.
Shipwell is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we will not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any sort. We do celebrate diversity and believe experience comes in different forms; many skills are transferable; and passion goes a long way. Diversity in our team makes for better problem solving, more creative thinking, and ultimately a better product and company culture.
Even more important than your resume is a clear demonstration of impact, dedication, and the ability to thrive in a fast paced and collaborative environment. Shipwell strives to have an inclusive work environment; so if you are hard working & good at what you do then please come as you are. We want you to contribute, grow, & learn at Shipwell and we encourage you to apply if your experience is close to what we’re looking for.
We are looking forward to adding new perspectives to our team!