HuffPost is a subsidiary of BuzzFeed, Inc.
As part of our esteemed news organization, HuffPost is a leading source of award-winning news and commentary for the most diverse and connected generation ever— with reporting spanning across politics, lifestyle, entertainment and more. HuffPost believes in putting people before power and telling the stories that too often go unheard, from the voices that matter.
Business Area: Content
Job Category: HuffPost
Salary: $90,000 per annual
Union Status: Non-Union
HuffPost is looking for a skilled copy editor to perform line and copy edits across the site, including text, video scripts and social media content. Copy editors at HuffPost take on all types of stories, including breaking news, enterprise stories, lifestyle articles and in-depth features. They fix basic grammar issues and offer big-picture edits. They can help reporters reframe and restructure stories as needed.
This is a six-month fixed-term role, working Monday through Friday.
- Edit stories from across all sections of HuffPost
- Edit breaking news, liveblogs, push alerts and video scripts
- Independently write polished, compelling headlines and social copy
- Assist with photo selection and ensure stories are visually appealing
- Help to maintain a consistent voice for the site
- Occasionally take on temporary additional tasks and responsibilities
- Sharp news judgment and high editorial standards
- Knowledge of AP Style
- Expert command of grammar
- The ability to make bigger-picture fixes to stories beyond basic copy edits
- Breaking news experience or a strong willingness to learn
- A willingness to work with reporters of all skill levels
- Enthusiasm for working on stories of all types — from hard news investigations to quick viral pieces
- The ability to make tough editorial decisions in high-pressure situations
- 2+ years of editing experience at a national outlet
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests received for non-disability related issues, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.
About BuzzFeed, Inc.
BuzzFeed, Inc. is the world's leading tech-powered, diversified media company that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally through its cross-platform news and entertainment network. The company produces articles, lists, quizzes, videos, and original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News and HuffPost; an industry-leading affiliate business, strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Commerce; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
Life at BuzzFeed, Inc.
We celebrate inclusion and are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
Note: BuzzFeed, Inc. offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) and open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, and WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, and VT.