Senior DevOps Engineer
Location: Remote and New York City
This is a fully remote position, full-time, with flexible working hours and work arrangements.
Vic.ai is creating the “Intelligent Accounting” era, using artificial intelligence to automate accounting and provide advisory, business insight, and eventually business foresight.
We’re a Series A stage start-up, founded by three Norwegian entrepreneurs and backed by renowned Silicon Valley investors (including Costanoa Ventures, Cowboy Ventures, and GGV Capital). We’re US-based, but our team is global, from New Zealand to California. We’re bringing AI to Finance and Accounting because the industry is ripe for automation and big-data insight and the market is huge: $200B just in the US.
Our main office locations is in New York. We have a well established remote-work culture, and over 50% of our team are working fully remote.
You’ve been a devops engineer for 5+ years, but you’ve been a tinkerer and a builder your whole life. We’re a team of builders—when we aren’t building Vic.ai, we’re tinkering with a personal project, contributing to open source, modding a drone, building a computer from components, etc.
We’re looking for an experienced devops who enjoys working with cloud technologies. You possess a good mixture of DevOps and infrastructure management and would like to build security innovative environments to support our global application deployment. You should have plenty of experience in building a performant, well-monitored cloud environment, designing efficient data flows between systems, communicating clearly, sharing knowledge and questioning existing solutions. You’re ready for the next step in your career, ready to take on fast-moving challenges. You’re enthusiastic about AI and how the build a devops infrastructure around a high performance dynamic AI environment..
As a team player, you are not afraid of reaching out to your colleagues to discuss development challenges, especially when you are stuck trying to solve a specific issue.
You are fluent in English.
Required Tech Skills
- Several years of experience working with AWS - ECS, EC2, Lambda, RDS, S3
- IaC - Hashicorp Terraform
- Docker deployment
- CI - CircleCI or Github Actions
- Linux - Alpine, Ubuntu
- bash scripting
Nice to have Tech Skills
- AWS - auto-scaling, Aurora, SQS, Secrets Manager, API Gateway, Textract, Transfer Family, Kinesis, Cost Explorer
- Familiarity with AWS services for data engineering/warehousing (e.g. Redshift)
- DataDog - metrics/alerting/dashboards
- Auth0 (or similar e.g. Okta)
- Hashicorp Packer
- Apache Druid
What the position is responsible for - a day in the life of the position
As a member of our operations team you'd be responsible for maintaining Vic.ai's
cloud infrastructure by using many of the above technologies, also often working
closely together with our product development teams. Example tasks:
- upgrade database X from RDS Postgres to Aurora Postgres
- migrate service Y from legacy container orchestration system to ECS
- automate (previously manual) task Z with Lambda function + EventBridge schedule
- configure auto-scaling of ECS containers based on Vic API avg response time
Other characteristics of the ideal candidate - education, communication, work remote, etc
- Great communication skills, both verbally and in text
- Multiple years of experience working in remote-first teams
- Masters degree in Computer Science a plus
- Open-source contributions a plus
As an early employee, you'll be working with a small team of committed and talented engineers and having a large, long-term impact on technical design and engineering culture.
- An exciting work environment operating at the forefront of AI technology development
- Competitive salary
- 401K, health/vision/wellness perks (including health insurance coverage option 100% free for the employee AND family and perks like ClassPass and CitiBike!)
- Generous maternity and paternity leave
- Virtual team building events & awesome swag
- People-focused culture, adding-value and fun to our meetings
- Generous vacation time, family and travel-friendly environment
- Work alongside an enthusiastic, collegial, and driven team in a highly meritocratic environment
- The opportunity to work remotely, including workstation setup
- A team-focused culture. The team builds the product, the business builds the team.
Above all, you should enjoy the journey. Our engineers are creative, technical, smart and genuinely like each other. They enjoy the work they do and so should you!