Location: Our campus located near Spitalfields (remote for now due to COVID-19)
Role Type: Permanent, Full Time
Salary Bracket: £50,000 - £60,000
Reporting to: Head of Developer Success
Everyone deserves a job they love. At Makers, we retrain people as software developers and kickstart their careers by placing them in tech teams across the UK.
You deserve a job you love, and we’ve got one for you.
Makers is Europe’s first and leading ‘coding bootcamp’ - where career-changers retrain as software developers. Founded in 2013, we’ve helped more than 2,200 people begin a new career in software, building long-term relationships with tech employers big and small.
We’re pretty good at what we do, according to our clients (both developers and employers), industry bodies, the press and the government. We can only get better by working with you.
At Makers, we are proud of the success and trust we enable in our Makers and among Hiring Partners who hire those Makers. This role, enabled by our scale, is dedicated to delighting those Makers, and ensuring their success. As Talent Lead, you will ensure the right people are brought into Makers, find jobs that they love in a timely way and Hiring Partners receive the right talent.
You will ensure outstanding leadership of this team to ensure that this mission is achieved.
What you’ll be doing
Your team will ensure that the developers we select are prepared, engaged and set up for success at each stage of their journey. This will involve the oversight of key teams, to ensure a seamless experience of the journey and it’s different parts:
- Developing, tracking, and driving metrics for Journey Success
- Develop and present a data dashboard, and quality improvement plan that is readily available and used to drive key improvements and chart progress with key metrics.
- Building a team focused around cross-functional collaboration with teams and improving the experience across all parts of their journey.
- Ensuring developers receive the necessary guidance and support on their journey
- To be responsible for allocating developers’ mentoring, monitoring and intervention to the team of Journey Success Coaches.
- Overseeing the work of the teams and quality assuring it
- Ensure feedback to Product on data based on interactions with developers and their feedback is actioned upon timely.
- Be a strong leader in the developer’ community for concerns to be escalated, and key messages communicated.
- Ensuring developer voice is gathered both qualitatively and quantitatively and key findings are actioned upon
- Overseeing the interviewing of applicants, in collaboration with marketing and sales who will find those applicants, with a view to ensuring everyone who joins us is right for the course, their employer, and ready for their journey.
- Managing the quality pool of applicants for our hiring partners to select their apprentices from.
- Ensuring the team is prepared to process the volume of applications marketing and sales bring in, according to an SLA.
- Ensuring there are good working practices that provide open communication of working projects including timelines, overviews that can be tailored to HP needs.
- Ensuring quality and compliance in everything the team does, as part of our ongoing Quality & Compliance efforts.
- Ensuring the backlog of job hunters that is job hunting for more than 3 months is kept to as close to 0 as possible; and for those that are not; there are clear interventions/timelines in place
- Ensuring that job hunters get jobs 0 to 3 months of completing their training.
- Accurate Record Keeping
- Responsive to messages via Slack/ Email
- Support staff development through effective performance management of staff responsible to this role
- Safeguarding of the community
- Take responsibility for individual and team CPD and development
- Participation at company wide and team meetings
The Talent Lead takes direct line management responsibility for the Journey Success team.
As a manager, you will:
- Ensure the team have the opportunity to grow and develop
- Drive process improvements and adoption and keep pace with rapid growth while motivating others to meet the challenges
- Develop operational efficiency
- Bring about effective cross-team collaboration
- Contribute to and drive forward the product strategy
- Motivate the team to achieve objectives
- Ensure the team are hitting team KPIs
We see this being done by:
What success looks like
- Outstanding strategic direction
- Building team effectiveness and future capability
- Managing and developing others and self
- High quality of delivery
Success in this role looks like:
Who we’re looking for
- Talented Makers are selected
- Makers are on a trajectory to have a job they love, and where they are not; there are sufficient interventions in place to give them every opportunity to get back on track
- All work is compliant and delivered to the highest quality standards
- Makers in your care are happy with their experience
- Inspirational and hands on leader with the ability to help others grow and feel valued
- Long term process approach; able to build flexible process
- Data driven; you’re able to develop, track, and drive metrics to ensure success, and see the value in doing so
- Experienced with scaling processes and structures that create and ensure quality and success
- Experienced and confident in spotting and nurturing talent in applicants for our course and hiring partners
- You’re an advocate and leader for quality and compliance being a top priority, and are able to put excellent working practices in place to ensure we’re bulletproof in this area
- Great problem solver, able to develop and drive interventions to ensure our Makers reach their full potential
- Able to prioritise in a fast paced environment
- A life long learner, you believe in continuous learning and lead by example with being open about what you don’t know, but actively upskilling and experimenting
- Working in a company that's built on trust over fear with a core mission to transform lives;
- Growing as a person, by learning transparency, vulnerability, the growth mindset, emotional intelligence, perhaps some hard truths about yourself, and how to give and receive feedback honestly and productively;
- We have a minimum holiday policy, rather than a maximum. We encourage our team to take at least 30 days a year, including a Winter break when we shut down between late December and January. The whole company takes a break, so you’ll have peace of mind in knowing that nobody is working, not just you.
- We embrace holistic health at Makers, where mental health matters and is just as important as physical health, which is why we offer unlimited fully paid wellness leave from day 1.
- Private Medical Insurance (after you’ve been with us at least 3 months);
- £500 Learning & Development allowance per annum and paid time off dedicated to your training & learning;
- Join twice-weekly yoga and daily meditation sessions run for the staff and students;
- 20% discount on classes & treatments at Triyoga studies across London;
- Company pension contributions;
- Enhanced parental pay & leave - up to 20 weeks fully paid maternity leave, up to 8 weeks fully paid paternity & secondary caregiver leave, and up to 20 weeks fully paid adoption leave.
- Access to a Perks at Work account which provides access to a range of shopping and other leisure discounts;
- Being surrounded by a diverse group of bright, motivated people, who all really care about doing the very best they can for our students, for our hiring partners and for each other.
Apply with your CV, Cover Letter, and the answer to these questions:
- What are 3 values that are most important to you and why?
- What are the attributes needed, and that you could bring to the role to ensure our learners thrive on their journey with us?
- How do you inspire effectiveness and continuous improvement in your team?
We’ll review completed applications and get back to you as soon as possible. If invited to begin the interview process, here’s what to expect:
- Phone screen with Head of Developer Success
- A set task to assess your skillset
- Interview with our Head of Developer Success and Director of Delivery
- Interview with some key members from our Developer Success Team
- Final stage interview with our CEO
We’re building a working environment (and recruitment process) where everyone feels welcome and included - we know we can do a lot better, and we’re committed to learning what more we can do to improve. If reading this job description has given you any doubt about whether you’d feel welcome or included at Makers, first, we’re sorry; and second, we’d really like to hear from you about it, so we don’t do it again.