As a freelance writer with the BestColleges team at RV | EDU, you'll craft original content for our blog and resources/guides, covering an array of student life-centered topics, such as career planning, financial aid, adult learners, and college and standardized test prep. Our writers work closely with our editors on concision, grammar, and readability for a variety of readers, including both traditional and nontraditional (e.g., older, online) students.
Here are some examples of the content we produce:
- Ask a Professor: When to Take a College Class Pass/Fail
- A Complete First-Year College Checklist
- How to Prepare for Your First Job After College
- 10 Free and Affordable Online Writing Tools for Students
RV | EDU freelance writers are capable of reaching diverse audiences and have a keen understanding of how information and ideas are received by students from all backgrounds.
- Write blog articles according to an in-house style guide (based on AP style)
- Pitch relevant student-centered topics for articles
- Adhere to in-house guidelines for branding, tone, and voice
- Adhere to sourcing and fact-checking guidelines
- Format articles based on guidelines and best practices
- Respond to and build upon feedback from copy editors
- A bachelor's degree in journalism, communication, English, related social sciences or humanities field, or relevant subjects (accounting, business, computer science, etc.)
- At least two years of relevant professional experience as a freelance writer
- Solid understanding of AP style
- A commitment to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- An astute sense of appropriate style, voice, tone, and content flow
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills
- Strong grasp of fact-checking and sourcing standards
- Excellent communication skills and a collaborative attitude
- Versatile writer, with the ability to effectively pivot between subject areas
Portfolio is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will be unable to respond to every applicant.